Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Is your car hungry?....literally!!

Old 06-13-2008, 11:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Is your car hungry?....literally!!

I will start this to see if and how many people have had this happen to them. So tell your stories.

I was driving along making good time and by good time I mean maybe 70 or so on a back type road when all of a sudden I see a bird fly up out of the tall grass on the side of the road. Didnt really hear an impact but hoped it hit the front and then went under the car. But at the same time i was wondering it got stuck in the ram air vents but figured...eh its not likely. So i pulled up to a gas station about 2 miles down the road to fill it up and i check the front and there is a feather stuck to car at the bottom of the lower passenger side vent. Then pop the hood and sure enough my car ate a cardinal!!! It was dead and seeping a little blood on top of the windshield washer fluid container. So in the end my car literally eat a bird lol.

Also I live in a very VERY rural area and I pulled the bird out and some of the people at the gas station saw what I was doin and one guy laughed, a lady called my a animal killer, and as I was putting the bird in the garbage another redneck type lady yelled "Dont throw that out, thats dinner!!!"

Lets hear your stories!!!!

Last edited by 02T/A-WS6; 06-14-2008 at 06:24 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I almost ran over a Grouse today in a neighborhood. I was only doing 20~ (slowing down) and just swerved a bit.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i hit something last night, a squirrel or something, i saw it run right in front of the car, i drove by there this morning and nothing was there. i think with the front right tire and it luckily went under the car as i didnt see anything when i checked it later... Last summer a bird got splattered all over my nose....YUCK

did anyone else think this thread was gonna have this video in it? LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTkDMPJRiKs
Old 06-14-2008, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

haha yea...after I made the title for the thread I thought about that video and figured it would come up at some point
Old 06-15-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

In my 1st F-body ('96 Formula) I hit a large goose at 75 mph on I-75 which broke off the driver's side mirror. It was incredible and I was glad I didn't hit any other cars travelling along. Also in that 1st F-body I ran over a skunk in the middle of the night and I couldn't get the smell off the right rear tire for two weeks! I even took the tire off and bathed it in tomato juice (supposed to work on pets that have been skunk sprayed) with no success. Finally the odor just faded away.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my first f-body (91 rs) I remember hitting a canadian goose. That sucker was huge. At first when i saw it near the side of the road it looked like it was flying away. A few seconds before it hit i noticed it was flying right at me, i went into the other lane cause no cars where coming...but he swerved right back at me. I think he was trying to go through the windshield? He hit the antenna first and then smashed into the windshield.....shook the whole damn car. When i pulled over i had to use my bottle of water to get rid of the blood and some guts too....kinda gross. I remember when i sold the car it still had some sort of stain from that damn goose near the antenna.

Just recently i hit a bird in my lt1 t/a. Damn thing flew right into the foglight and gave the paint on the front bumper some spider webbing.....bastard.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Teching In

In my friend's Cop Crown Vic we were driving somewhere one day and a bird flew by. It missed his windshield, but wasn't so lucky when it came to the rear-mounted radio antenna. Never seen a bird get chopped in half outside of Thanksgiving before. It was crazy.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

My '68 Cutlass ate a bird years ago, it's claws got stuck between the headlamp and bezel, when I pulled it out by the wings, the legs and guts stayed stuck to the car, gross. Hit something on a dark country road one night too, only evidence was fur and blood on the inside of the rim. Just recently a bird flew out from the side in front of me, then turned and started flying down the road in the same direction I was going at about windshield height. I was only going ~35MPH, so as this bird was flying down the road in front of me, the nose of my truck gradually "snuck up" behind / under the bird and only then did the bird decide to peel-off out of my way before I hit it. I must have been following that bird down the road for ~100 yards. That was wierd.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

My old 91 ranger had a taste for dove heads. I was flying down a back road one day and 2 doves were sitting in the road. The 1 dove took off early but I guess the other decided to play chicken. He lost. If he would've just stayed still he would've been fine. The only thing I can think of was that he got scared when I was about 5 feet away and tried to fly. I was high enough I should of cleared him but I end up with part of his beak stuck in the plastic lower valence below the bumper.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

I'm always picking out napkins and plastic bags out from under the air box. I got a surprise a couple of weeks ago when I popped the hood and a freshly dead house wren was mangled along with the plastic bags stuck up inside right underneath my air box.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Neverhad anything get under my airbox. I've even got the ram air mod.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hit a bird in my old 97 camaro v6..then found one of its legs behind the fog light 2 weeks later after washing it..Same thing in the old acura i had only the bird layed in the inside of the front bumper and stunk to high heavens til i figured out where it was coming from.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:14 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a bird swoop down in front of me, and I saw something fly into the air as it struck the car. Turns out it hit the edge of the hood and chopped the bird's wing off. The rest went into the opening in the hood.

Please keep this topic related to Pontiac Firebirds only.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I see the Firebird is a bird of prey.... lol
Old 06-26-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

haha the other night me and a couple friends were out drivin around in the middle of nowhere in my buddy's blazer... and we were goin along on a smooth freshly paved road and hit a huge bump... so we put it in reverse to see what in the world we hit... and it ended up being a beaver! so my friend, being as hardcore about hunting and all that stuff as he is, went back home to get his shitty truck and threw it in the back to take it home and skin it to mount it in his garage haha
it was so strange though because when we first went back to it we thought sure it was a coon or opossum or something like that cuz both of those animals are thick around here... but sure enough
Old 06-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Launching!

About a year ago I hit a huge black bird...broke my side mirror and **** on the side of my car...knocked the **** out of him literily. Also ran over a Armidillo..my car is low!...i could not believe he survived.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4 rabbits... at once
Old 07-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Popped the heads off a few squirrels, maybe a rabbit or 2.
Years ago driving trucks in the oilfield I plowed a hawk. Grill guard came out a foot from the bumper and had 3 sections of 4" pipe welded across in front of the grill. ie. Major grill guard. Was going about 80 or so and the hawk was working on a rabbit in the other lane. He finally flew up and made a wrong decision on which way to swerve. It was his last.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is your car hungry?....literally!!