General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 03:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator?

car drove fine to work, went to leave 8 hours later and the reading lamp and things work but car goes dead after i try and turn the key. jump the car and it will barely hold a charge and die when i put it in drive. threw in a new battery and car turns right over but is very rough and again dies when put in drive. is it the alternator?

also when i gave it some gas in park to try and give it some juice, it would drop down in rpm really low and almost die when you let off the gas.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:55 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds just like the alternator! hows the volts guage? or it could be that little single wire plug on top of the altornator
Old 06-14-2008, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you put a new battery in you should be able to start it up and drive normally for a little while, like maybe 15-20 minutes until its starts to die. When my alternator took a **** I had to pull over when the car started to die, my friend came and gave me a jump start, we let it charge for about 15 minutes with the jumper cables and I was able to drive 5-6 miles through the city to get it home before it started to die off again. With a fully charged new battery, 15 miles would be easy.

Maybe you have short somewhere or corrosion.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Teching In

replaced alternator, works fine now.