Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

So I got jacked about a week ago and debating battery or alternator. Security!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So I got jacked about a week ago and debating battery or alternator. Security!!

My DD Civic due to my own stupidity. 99 out of 100 times I lock the doors but about a week ago I failed Lucky for me they could have gotten a whole lot more but only took my Kinetik 1400 gel battery from under the hood. Pissed me off to no end but I imagine the box just weighed too much and they didn't feel like carrying it in all that light to where they needed to go.
So after this I learned a valuable lesson and want to do my best to prevent my stuff from leaving me even if I should fail to lock the car or they bust a window. HU is bolted in and so are all my speakers. Amp rack is bolted to the rear deck but with a screwdrive and time they could get it out but it also sets behind my box which would have to be removed. I am thinking about putting the box to the deck and using security screws on all so they can't remove anything I have in the trunk at all. As for the battery I looked it over and saw only one way to secure it. I would basically loop a chain or cable around it and the bracket it sits on that is bolted to the frame below and put a lock on it. If they can't lift it up it can't come out so a nice tight chain and they are hosed! They could bring bolt cutters but I kind of doubt them doing that.
I think at some point in the future with the TA system I may add a gel battery to it since I see a little flicker in the lights that this will cure. I need to figure out how to secure it as well. At $200 a pop it is well worth it!

One last question. My Civic's system is suffering pretty bad right now so I was also thinking of maybe going away from a $200 gel battery again and just doing a 160 Amp alternator (stock is 70 Amp) in instead and pass on the battery. Think this would be a better option?
Old 06-15-2008, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard a lot of people say that many thieves will destroy your car if they can't get your stuff out either in a failed attempt to get it out or thinking "How DARE he prevent me from stealing his stuff? This'll show him!"

That said, use bolts/screws with uncommon bits like security torx (torx with the dot in the center) or something like that.

And yes, getting a better alternator is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more of a good idea than replacing the battery.