Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch grabbing off floor... I've tried everything

Old 06-14-2008, 04:08 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch grabbing off floor... I've tried everything

Hey all,

I have a McLeod RXT street twin with a McLeod steel flywheel, a Ram master cylinder, brand new OEM slave and McLeod scattershield. I've been going through pure hell with this setup, and the last thing to tackle is the fact that the clutch starts engaging right off the floor. In fact, I'm quite sure it's not disengaging all the way even when I have it floored because sometimes I can rev the engine while in gear with the clutch all the way down, and it will roll.

So, the first thing I did was try adjusting the master all the way out. All this seemed to do was make the pedal come out farther. The engagement point didn't seem to really move. Next, I bought a pressure bleeder, and that seemed to do no good. In fact, I seem to have the best luck by simply pressing the pedal, opening and closing the valve, then releasing and repeating. Next, because I was battling with other issues, I went ahead and shimmed the slave. The shim was one I bought from ls1speed, and it's about 0.115" in size, so just under 1/8". That seemed to do absolutely nothing.

I'm hesitant to blame the bleed on the clutch because it's pretty consistant. Also, the engagement duration is sooooo long with this clutch that even if I could get it to stop engaging right off the floor, I still think I'd want to switch clutches. I mean, it starts to engage right off the floor, but there's still a LOT of swing before it really clamps down. I don't like that very much.

I've considered the possibility of adding a new peg farther down the clutch pedal arm so that I have less leverage (meaning it will be harder to press, but the master arm will move farther as I press the pedal). I would consider another master, but McLeod stopped making their masters (which were out-sourced to another company) because they were so shitty, and I don't believe they make another yet. The Ram master that I have is basically just a stocker and doesn't move any more fluid.

Can anyone help me out here? I have GOT to get this knocked out before the clutch is burned up by failure to disengage.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

I'm not sure but I thought the Mcleod clutches required the Mcleod master. I believe the Mcleod master has a bigger bore and displaces more fluid per stroke. I've never run a Mcleod clutch and am just going by what I've read...
Old 06-14-2008, 05:23 PM
wrencher

I'm betting you also need to put a mcleod master in there as well. They have a slightly larger bore (13/16's") & displace a little more fluid volume.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:35 PM
11Second Club

Any word on whether or not they've contracted someone else to start making them yet?
Old 06-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

I don't believe they have. Took me around 30 phone calls to find just one shop with just one in stock last weekend. All others are back ordered and haven't been given any firm date when they can expect to receive new ones.

Search this Thread