Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flycut question

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flycut question

ok so i ordered a set of PRC 2.5 ls6 heads and an MS4 cam for my car and i know im gonna have to do some flycutting. the only problem is that i have never done this and was wonderin what all i need to buy and do and how to do this. any help would be great
Old 06-15-2008, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never flycut but from what I hear its very easy good luck man
I'm sure someone will help out.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:36 PM
11 Second Club

Oh thats a nice setup BTW.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks man
Old 06-15-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the same setup man and will be starting her up next weekend hopefully! From what I hear you'll love the combo, it's pretty potent. As far as flycutting, I started to flycut my pistons before I decided to go with forged internals. It's cake man. Just make sure you keep everything lubed up really well, this is key. As far as tools you'll just need the cutter and guide, I used the Lindy tool, just search it and you'll come up with boat loads and you'll need a drill, whether it be air or battery powered. You just need something with a chuck to grab the guide. You'll need a feeler gauge to measure the depths of your cuts and a dial indicator to make sure your piston is at TDC.

Also, go .100" on both the intake and exhaust cuts. This number was given to me directly from TSP.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Teching In

I would not just go 0.100" on each side. I would measure the intake and exhaust valve clearance and cut appropriately for each side (0.080 and 0.100 clearance needed for intake/exhust valves). Extra depth decreases compression and is not needed (unless you are planning on a different cam - bigger/longer duration in the future).

I did this last month and it was not hard - just take your time. Do a search, there is a good write up.

I used the Lindy tools.

Good luck.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:09 PM
11 Second Club

you only really need to flycut the pistons ONLY if you plan on milling your heads...

Ive done 2 MS4's one on mine, and one on my friends.

My friends cleared without a problem..(LS6 heads, without any milling work- In otherwords right out of the box)

My heads have been milled .030 so I had .100 flycut into the piston.

Just trying to save ya allot of work if you dont plan on doing that..
Old 06-16-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2gofast
I would not just go 0.100" on each side. I would measure the intake and exhaust valve clearance and cut appropriately for each side (0.080 and 0.100 clearance needed for intake/exhust valves). Extra depth decreases compression and is not needed (unless you are planning on a different cam - bigger/longer duration in the future).

I did this last month and it was not hard - just take your time. Do a search, there is a good write up.

I used the Lindy tools.

Good luck.
Jumping between .050" and .100" isn't going to decrease compression that much at all man. For reference the Diamond Forged -2cc relief pistons that are very popular with these motors and the pistons that I used are cut at: Valve relief depth = .165” intake and .107” exhaust (Taken straight from the website). And you won't hurt the integrity of the piston by taking a little more. Give yourself the added room and clearance for whatever cam swaps you might possibly run into in the near future or if you choose to mill the head down at all.

My numbers of .100" for both intake and exhaust were given to me personally from Texas Speed and I'm going to trust their word since it's their parts.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:11 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slowandrichws6
ok so i ordered a set of PRC 2.5 ls6 heads and an MS4 cam for my car and i know im gonna have to do some flycutting. the only problem is that i have never done this and was wonderin what all i need to buy and do and how to do this. any help would be great
Dude I feel bad for you. Thats a hard job. Like super hard. Looks like your local though, throw me 1000 and Ill do it for you and bring the tools

Bitch. lol