Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Seals or Bad Oil ring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 07:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Seals or Bad Oil ring?

The other day i was driving along and ran across one of the good ole monster smokin diesels. He was being and idiot and i decided to show him what was up. Romped on the gas and look behind me... massive clouds of smoke (and not from the diesel, his exhaust was on the opposite side)

I know the car has been burning some pretty decent amounts of oil but this was pretty out of control.

About 2 months ago i went through and did a compression test just to see how the motor was holding up. All cylinders checked out great. 225-221 ish on all cylinders from what i remember. I have driven the car maybe 500 miles in the last 2 months so i highly doubt i lost a cylinder that fast. I will check the compression again hopefully tonight.

When i threw the new ferrea valves in about 6 months ago i did not replace the valve seals. the little guys are the original ones that were on the heads new about 15k miles ago.

So my question is this, besides a compression test is there any way to determine whether its a bad ring? can i have a good compression but still have a bad oiling ring?

Can i actually pull enough oil through a valve seal in order to create that much smoke?

Engine is an HPE 408 stroker, koneig built. Hogged out LS6 heads, deleted PCV, running breathers, deleted evap, deleted cats.

its making me sick thinking my bottom end may be toast and im praying its something as simple as valve seals. i know when i put those valves seals in that i was probably making a bad decision by not replacing them.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had my seals replaced after similar symptoms. Mine would smoke at idle and let out a good puff when I punched it. 4/8 seals on the passenger side were loose. Now I have no smoke AT ALL. Mine is only cammed, but still, you might check that before the rest. I had that sick feeling for awhile too after letting some mechanics look at it. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2008, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

mine seems to burn alot of oil when im driving on the freeway... my best guess is that when im on the freeway in 6th gear with the throttle body mostly closed that the vacuum is pulling oil down through the valve seals. im pretty sure im still getting oil through my rocker bolt holes in my heads as well.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would seal/re-seal the rocker bolt holes. Also, you may be pressurizing the block without a PCV system and pushing oil into the cylinders. Something to keep in mind. I wouldn't think its the bottom end.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

nah, not pressurizing. i am running breathers on the pcv and on the valve covers and i make sure they dont get plugged up.

i think ill reseal the rocker bolts and replace the valve seals and call it a day.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:29 AM
11 Second Club

anybody else have some input? lol
Old 06-17-2008, 02:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Hey Chase, I just saw this but make sure your seals are not fubar or damaged or coming off and that your intake rocker bolts have sealer on them so they don't suck oil.

Also make sure you have no cracks or holes from porting the heads that are leaking oil now. We have to deal with that quite a lot especially around the pushrod restriction area on hand ported heads.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

i changed my seals about 2k miles ago due to SO much smoke...ecspecially when i accelerated hard and if i let it come down on its own from 4k rpms down..now i have now problem..my .02

Quick Reply: Valve Seals or Bad Oil ring?