Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Considering AF

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Considering AF

I am at a crossroads with my life. I am 24, bored, and coming to the realization that if I don't do something now with my life I will be doing the same thing 20 years from now which is not good.

I am within half a year of graduating with a B.A. in Business Administration with probably a 3.0-2. Yes I know it is non technical but I am a very technical person. At work I am professional services technician and work with servers and networks all day.

My personal life has changed dramatically in the last year with my divorce and having said that I really don't want to re-marry at all or for at least several years so I really want to travel and see everything the world has to offer. I have barely been out of the south and would love to go to another country.

Lastly I want to do "something". I don't get a ton of satisfaction saving important data for some lawyer. I don't get satisfaction helping customer's over the phone. I want to be part of something bigger. I want my life to be something my son and myself can be proud of.

I would really like to qualify to be an officer. Everywhere I look everybody says to do well on the AFOQT and I would have a good chance. Has anybody here taken the SAT and the AFOQT? If so how do your scores correlate?

Forgot to mention I am very athletic so that is not a problem at all.

Last edited by Lickeyman; 06-16-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Launching!

i took the pre oqt test cause i was thinking about taking the oqt and try a comissioning program and its a differnt style of test. i scored really high on the pilot/nav portion but avg on the rest, the electrical mazes jacked my world up. go to a recruiter and have him hook you up with it or go to the library and see if they have any info on it. although if you get into an rotc program you wouldnt have to go to OTS; you get your comission upon graduating.

also i believe stole it is now comissioned and is a mod on here so hit him up he may be able to give you a better point of view on the matter.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jester177
also i believe stole it is now comissioned and is a mod on here so hit him up he may be able to give you a better point of view on the matter.

Hopefully he will see this and chime in :-)
Old 06-16-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you really like to travel, I'd be thinking Navy first.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
If you really like to travel, I'd be thinking Navy first.
Thought about it and I don't really want to be on a boat. Thanks for the suggestion though

I am a huge aircraft buff and have been since I was a kid. Also love flying so the AF is probably the best fit for me. Even if my job was not flight related I would still love to be around the aircraft.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you interested in becoming a career airman?
Old 06-16-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
Are you interested in becoming a career airman?
Definitely. If commissioned as an officer or placed on the officer track I would definitely be willing to be a lifer.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:40 AM
11 Second Club

All the branches are pretty good about having assignments all over the world but an AF officer would probably be one of the better things to do if you plan on staying in for as long as possible...
Old 06-17-2008, 06:35 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure a bachelor's in business administration is gonna get you very far...you can say you are as technical as any guy out there, but you don't have the formal education to back it up, which can be very important to the AF. Not saying that it can't be done, but it is easier if you have the piece of paper.

The AF just got done doing a pretty decent force-shaping program, and they went after the non-engineering officers pretty hardcore (they left the pilots and such alone of course). Lots of my friends separated, or were essentially kicked out (junior officers).

The military is never as sexy as many would have you believe...
Old 06-17-2008, 07:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fact: The US Navy has more planes than the USAF
Fact: The US Army has more boats than the US Navy
Old 06-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

If you want to travel then AF would probably be your best choice. the only other countries you can count on seeing in the Army or Marines is Iraq or Afgahnistan. I'm not saying you won't deploy in the AF, but you will have a lot more options for overseas assignments. I've been all over this planet on different assignments and deployments, and i always run into AF dudes. Also they have the best accomodations when it comes to barracks and chow halls and stuff like that. Last but not least, AF women are hot.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

What I heard out of that.....

Originally Posted by robcas47
blah blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda yadda Last but not least, AF women are hot.
That seals the deal LOL

No joke guys I am having a hard time getting into the AF. It seems like what was said above they are cutting back a little. The AF recruiter said while it is not impossible my chances are slim and I DO need an excellent officer test that would basically land me a job in a plane (so off the charts basically). He said they are barely taking enlisted men unless for specific jobs. He actually told me if I really want to go into the military as an officer the best route right now is to go to the Marines because they are actually in the process of increasing their numbers. He said with my asvab, high sat, and fitness level I'd be a shoe in probably. But he also said don't give up, I'll pull all the strings I can, and study for the test you never know.

Recruiter seemed super cool and refreshingly honest so I'm studying.

Next question....Anybody an officer in the Marines? What is it like? I know I'd see alot less of the world unless I got to go on a boat or somehow qualified for something in the aircraft field (hehe that would be a dream job)

The uniforms are pretty BA in the Marines
Old 06-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Lickeyman
What I heard out of that.....

That seals the deal LOL

No joke guys I am having a hard time getting into the AF. It seems like what was said above they are cutting back a little. The AF recruiter said while it is not impossible my chances are slim and I DO need an excellent officer test that would basically land me a job in a plane (so off the charts basically). He said they are barely taking enlisted men unless for specific jobs. He actually told me if I really want to go into the military as an officer the best route right now is to go to the Marines because they are actually in the process of increasing their numbers. He said with my asvab, high sat, and fitness level I'd be a shoe in probably. But he also said don't give up, I'll pull all the strings I can, and study for the test you never know.

Recruiter seemed super cool and refreshingly honest so I'm studying.

Next question....Anybody an officer in the Marines? What is it like? I know I'd see alot less of the world unless I got to go on a boat or somehow qualified for something in the aircraft field (hehe that would be a dream job)

The uniforms are pretty BA in the Marines
The recruiter will lie to you. 90% of what he tells you will be true but 10% will be bullshit.

It's like living in Iraq for 15 months, going home for 12 months and then going back again. It's a never ending cycle. I have a ton of respect for the Marines but you couldnt pay me enough to do what they do.

I got my degree about 6 months (same as yours) ago and Im having a hard time getting into OTS. They gave me the option to go army or marines as an officer but Id rather just stay enlisted in the AF and keep submitting my package. Sooner or later they will start accepting people.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2006vette
The recruiter will lie to you. 90% of what he tells you will be true but 10% will be bullshit.
The 10% of BS was probably the pulling the strings part. LOL
Old 06-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

you should really reconsider the navy. alot of people think that the navy only offers ships. you want a challenge? go aircrew. if you go thru the right pipeline you can go and fly on some of the bigger aircraft that never see the ship or you can be a rescue swimmer. Just a bit of advice look at what all the services have to offer before you settle on just one. You might be pleasently surprised. PM me if you would like more info on the different pipelines. You sound alot like I did when I was looking around.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just commissioned from AF OTS earlier this year as a pilot-select and I start UPT in October. Getting any rated position as an AF officer is getting pretty tough now days. If you want to be a pilot, you'd need a minimum of a 3.0 college GPA (even though that's still borderline), an average of ~90 on all AFOQT scores, be in almost prefect physical health, and be able to impress AF brass through interviews and your letters of recommendation.

The process of applying, getting selected, and actually getting your commission is a long one, taking me almost three years. Keep in mind there are several physicals you have to pass along the way. If you want to be in a rated position (flying job), the easiest route would be ABM (Air Battle Manager), followed by Nav, then lastly Pilot.

It's been a long journey and it's not even close to being complete, but I've had a blast so far. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lickeyman
Thought about it and I don't really want to be on a boat. Thanks for the suggestion though

I am a huge aircraft buff and have been since I was a kid. Also love flying so the AF is probably the best fit for me. Even if my job was not flight related I would still love to be around the aircraft.
There is a aviation side of the NAVY, you know this right? Well i was so ignorant when i joined i thought the a/c on the carrier where AF lol. well theres more to the navy than boats my friend, theres a HUGE aviation community. Squadron quality of life is much better than being ships company.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
It's been a long journey and it's not even close to being complete, but I've had a blast so far. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks and I will...Thanks for all the info too

Originally Posted by MGMC
There is a aviation side of the NAVY, you know this right? Well i was so ignorant when i joined i thought the a/c on the carrier where AF lol. well theres more to the navy than boats my friend, theres a HUGE aviation community. Squadron quality of life is much better than being ships company.
Oh yeah I'm looking at the Navy and Marines (very similar I'm finding) now since the AF is so tight. Hopefully I could get in on the aviation side after being commissioned..

I'm going to be sure to have school finished asap so I can make the OCC course next summer. I have been working on the pft side of things since I haven't really ran or worked out in a few years. Pretty close to maxing out the 5k (around 19:00) and pull ups (17 haven't ever maxed before lol) just gotta get the situps there. I never used to work em so they suck bad. You would think a guy like me could crank them things out but for some reason it's so bad it's embarrassing. By next summer I'll max them out ;-)
Old 06-21-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just graduated bmt for the AF and am on my second week at sheppard for tech school. all i have to say is make sure its what you want to do cause if its not.. tough. if you're 100% sure it is you'll love it. i thought it was my only option at the time but it wasnt but i went through with it and i find myself sometimes thinking twice now im in it for 6 years. (maybe b/c tech school stinks) but AF is a good branch overall
Old 06-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Launching!

I haven't spoken to a recruiter but I am interested in the air nat guard. Don't know if ill get bashed for this but I really want to do it for the money. Sorry, not trying to hijack his thread but im in the same situation as him. 23, former mechanic, and now layed off. I want to pursrue a career in healthcare-a nurse anesthetist. This is what a friend of mine told me. Please be honest w/ me!

-15k sign on, when do I get it? Is there any small print I need to know?
-In MO they pay for %100 tuition and 20k student loan. Again, any stipulations.
-THE MAIN REASON- close to 2k/ mo pay. This way I can focus on full time school and not worry about trying to work full time.
- Report 1 weekend/ mo. and 2 weeks/ year.
-Last question, when I finish the 7 week bt, do you have to go to one of their schools? I already know where I want to go from start to finish.

Basically I want to stay around home as much as possible, I know there is always a chance of deployment but I was told they do more local help. Also told if your a full time student that will reduce your chances of getting called on. I just want to get in and out, get the $, start school so I can get on w/ my life. Me and the girl need a house!

I appreciate any advice and input.

Quick Reply: Considering AF