Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rear Mount double wrapping, Bad Idea

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 07:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Mount double wrapping, Bad Idea

I was skimming through alot of old threads on rear mounts and wrapping pipes. Alot of people seem to think the double wrapping the pipes will help insulate better. I actually emailed the company ThermoTec and asked about double wrapping pipes on a rear mount. They weren't really familiar with what a rear mount was but I said the main objective was keeping heat in. ThermoTec replied that double wrapping would not help keep heat in any better than a single layer of 1/4'' overlapping would and in fact, as soon as water is introduced to the wrapp that the double layer would trap in moisture and would not hold in heat as well as a single layer and the pipes would fatigue MUCH quicker. Anyways, just some food for thought for not only rear mount guys, but anyone who double wraps their pipes period. Stick with 1/4'' overlapping strips.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I respectfully disagree. Well. . . at least on the insulation part of it. I do agree that it will shorten the life of the exhaust piping.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Banned

I thought that it would help insulate better too but I read on the actual product to not double wrap so I emailed them and thats what I got back from a rep.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

As soon as you overlap, you have a double layer of wrap anyways, so that makes no sense. I did a layer of aluminum-back ceramic batting on mine, making sure the seam on the wrap was oriented stright down for water drain(I don't drive this car in the rain anyway) and then did wrap on top of it. It's lasted for 3.5 years now, and when I removed part of the wrap to work on the exhaust, the pipe was fine.

Jim
Old 06-18-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DeltaT
As soon as you overlap, you have a double layer of wrap anyways, so that makes no sense. I did a layer of aluminum-back ceramic batting on mine, making sure the seam on the wrap was oriented stright down for water drain(I don't drive this car in the rain anyway) and then did wrap on top of it. It's lasted for 3.5 years now, and when I removed part of the wrap to work on the exhaust, the pipe was fine.

Jim
Where did u get it?
Old 06-19-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

Longacre Racing

Here's the ceramic batting on first:

And the black wrap afterwards:

http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk..._wrapped2a.jpg

Jim
Old 06-19-2008, 01:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim did you use the silicon spray coating?? I heard this is supposed to eliminate the water problem??

Chris.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

You can't stop water from getting up in any wrap, but most exhaust rot happens from the inside out due to water and acids produced as combustion byproducts. Who knows how long that spray-on silicon hangs around? I can't say.

Jim
Old 06-20-2008, 01:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good point Jim!

what was the black wrap you put around yours after the heat wrap??

Chris.

Quick Reply: Rear Mount double wrapping, Bad Idea