Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

need help with alt. mounting

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help with alt. mounting

Hey guys i am putting a sbc 350 from an 89 truck into my GTA that had a 4bbl 305, and i need help mounting my alternator. The bracket that was used on the 350 wont bolt up anymore(the new water pump is in the way even though it is supposedly a direct replacement?, and it is broken) and the bracket used on the 305 doesnt bolt up either(again the water pump, granted the 305's pump had more bolt holes on it for mounting stuff). So what can i do? Im not looking for any expensive chrome brackets just something that i can mount the alt. to...
The 350 has a big bracket for the smog pump and the a/c compressor but im not using either of them so that side of the engine would be open, and the bottom bolt hole on the other side is semi-blocked by the water pump.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Banned

What water pump did you get one for the T/A or one for the truck?
The T/A has a multi ribbed belt right? nothing rides on the smooth side of the belt?

The truck water pump is designed for counter clockwise operation since it had a serpentine belt, it had a smooth water pump pulley and it rides on the smooth side of the belt.

If you're using the T/A pullies you need the T/A Clockwise pump. This pump should have the right mounts also.

They eliminated a lot of the mounting points on a CCW pump because they are not needed and it prevents installation on the wrong application.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

yeah i got the truck pump. So is there any way I can use that pump or do I have to return it and get the TA pump? We are using the power steering and alternator from the TA, but i do have the power steering from the truck. Dont have the alt from the truck though.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by davep_96
yeah i got the truck pump. So is there any way I can use that pump or do I have to return it and get the TA pump? We are using the power steering and alternator from the TA, but i do have the power steering from the truck. Dont have the alt from the truck though.
In order to use that pump you need to use all the brackets and most accesories from the truck.
If you just get the T/A water pump you should have not one problem with all the original T/A brackets.

FWIW everything on the truck turns CW except for the water pump, and the water pump flows water the same direction as the T/A's even though it turns CCW.