Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brake lines worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default brake lines worth it?

im about to order some ATE rotors and hawk pads for my 01 trans am. Just curious should i get some stainless brake lines as well? What is the benefit to getting them? and what brand would you guys suggest? Are the Earls just as good as the others?

thanks guys
Old 06-17-2008, 07:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume you're referring to the "brake hoses", yes? I have a '96 Z-28 and my wife has a 2000 Lincoln LS. Neither car was known for outstanding braking, despite the fact that each one was capable of some serious speed. I put the stainless-braided hoses on my car about 12 years ago, and hers 7 years ago. They've worked well on both cars, however I can't say that they made a "world of difference".....
Old 06-17-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Junkie

I can't say they made a world of difference either because I changed my fluid at the same time. But I can tell you that changing the fluid and going to steel brake lines enhanced pedal feel. Basically the point on the brake pedal between no brakes and full brakes becomes a shorter distance. I prefer this personally.

Keep in mind it doesn't effect stopping power. Since the pedal now applies brakes quicker with less pedal travel, you may feel like it's stopping faster when actually you are just applying more force with your own foot.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Launching!

sounds like im gonna have to go ahead and get these. I am talking about these http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=16&ModelID=8 I have talked to a few people and they say they are a good addition since im gonna be changing the rotors and pads along with painting the calipers within the next month.

thanks for you input guys
Old 06-17-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I like mine, easy to install as well! I was painting my calipers so I figured why not.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by _JB_
I like mine, easy to install as well! I was painting my calipers so I figured why not.
yep i will also be painting the calipers when i install the new rotors and pads
Old 06-17-2008, 07:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are good for 'consistent' braking, especially on a road course. What happens with stock ones is they can make the pedal feel soft over many runs; the steel ones help prevent this.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMHO, I pretty much agree with what's stated so far, but if there is one tip that I may give is...

Inspect them regularly. Even though the stainless steel mesh can make an improvement (dependent on situation), the outer coating on some stainless steel meshed lines can wear down and allow some dirt to get trapped and cause additional wear and tear. Most of mine never have, except with HPDE, but I've seen some that have never seen a "race-oriented" driving event that have small wear that caused brake system failure.

Quick Reply: brake lines worth it?