Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch can and intake cleaning difference?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catch can and intake cleaning difference?

I'm debating on whether to buy a revextreme catchcan or not. I don't have a lot of money to spend but I just don't like oil in my manifold. If I do buy it, I'll be taking off the manifold and getting all the oil out and repainting it. Did anyone notice a difference when they installed their catchcan? I just haven't justified buying one yet. Don't really know if they are worth it.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Build your own if it's a matter of money. I think I have one I made, never used, for $20 shipped. They are worth it, watch what they 'catch'. Just spray TB cleaner or seafoam it.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

How did you make one? Pics?
Old 06-17-2008, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just spray deep creep in yout intake every once and a while. just think every car company that i can think of uses a pcv with no catch can so i do not think it is worth the hassle.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:14 AM
On The Tree

I hope it's okay to put link to ls1 site; http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...V+catch&page=2
Old 06-17-2008, 07:12 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good functioning oil seperating catch can is more than a container with fittings on it. It needs to have a baffle or dispersion system inside it & be at least 1 quart capacity to properly condense & seperate the vapors & mist allowing only the non-oil laden vapors to enter the intake.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

u will still get oil in the intake. no matter what you do. you can remove the pcv completely and it will still get in there.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:53 AM
TECH Junkie

you can do what I did and sea foam your car and then drive it down the beach- that was when I was living down there. haha that was funny as hell.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
u will still get oil in the intake. no matter what you do. you can remove the pcv completely and it will still get in there.
If you do not have excessive blow-by due to piston/ring/bore issues our system WILL eliminate the oil in the intake. Have over 1,000 in use & zero issues.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:03 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
If you do not have excessive blow-by due to piston/ring/bore issues our system WILL eliminate the oil in the intake. Have over 1,000 in use & zero issues.
i beg to differ. i have not seen a single ls series motor, catch can or no pcv at all with a dry intake. im not saying its an issue-u just will never get rid of it all.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i beg to differ. i have not seen a single ls series motor, catch can or no pcv at all with a dry intake. im not saying its an issue-u just will never get rid of it all.
there is also valve overlap that will cause these issues also i believe
Old 06-18-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a search on Home Depot catchcan.. cheap, I am using this now and it has worked to keep the oil out of my intake.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bczee
Do a search on Home Depot catchcan.. cheap, I am using this now and it has worked to keep the oil out of my intake.

I did, nothing but old threads with no pics come up
Old 06-18-2008, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

I bought and installed a Revextreme can two months ago. I've since drained about a cup and a half of nasty fluid that would have otherwise collected in the intake. Deep creep works good, but also settles gunk at the bottom of the intake. I would get the can, depending on driving conditions the can will collect some real bad ****.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Banned

Then you haven't been around us. We ship 25-50 a week & install them on every build. We just released our dry sump LS7 system that has eliminated the problem with them as well. The RevXtreme PCV oil seperating catch can is differnt in design & capacity of almost every other one on the market. Any time you would like to stop in for a demonstration just come by. We build everything from mild bolt-on's to 1150 HP twin turbo beasts.

The Home depot air line trap is plastic (does very little to condense) and is only a few ounces in capacity. I ran one for years before designing our can. Most other cans are 1-2 pints in capacity & again do not enough surface area to condense the mist & vapors properly. The RevX can is a full 1 qt (road/track drivers need 1/2 gal to be totally effective).

We run a clear line on the shop drag car that is only run a 1/4 mile at a time (low 11's on motor, high 10's on a small shot) as an example. There has yet to be one drop getting through & it is raced every weekend competivley. (NHRA/IHRA points).

Do not confuse our design with the average bare "can" that so many try...it has an internal perforated down tube to disperse the vapors so every cu inch of surface is used to condense & it has an integrated PCV check-valve to prevent back-flow.

Just ask any of the hindreds on this site if it cured their oil in the intake issues & unless there is a ring/piston/bore issue allowing excessive blow-by, the RevX can properly installed works.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:23 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
Then you haven't been around us. We ship 25-50 a week & install them on every build. We just released our dry sump LS7 system that has eliminated the problem with them as well. The RevXtreme PCV oil seperating catch can is differnt in design & capacity of almost every other one on the market. Any time you would like to stop in for a demonstration just come by. We build everything from mild bolt-on's to 1150 HP twin turbo beasts.

The Home depot air line trap is plastic (does very little to condense) and is only a few ounces in capacity. I ran one for years before designing our can. Most other cans are 1-2 pints in capacity & again do not enough surface area to condense the mist & vapors properly. The RevX can is a full 1 qt (road/track drivers need 1/2 gal to be totally effective).

We run a clear line on the shop drag car that is only run a 1/4 mile at a time (low 11's on motor, high 10's on a small shot) as an example. There has yet to be one drop getting through & it is raced every weekend competivley. (NHRA/IHRA points).

Do not confuse our design with the average bare "can" that so many try...it has an internal perforated down tube to disperse the vapors so every cu inch of surface is used to condense & it has an integrated PCV check-valve to prevent back-flow.

Just ask any of the hindreds on this site if it cured their oil in the intake issues & unless there is a ring/piston/bore issue allowing excessive blow-by, the RevX can properly installed works.

you are taking this as a bash and its not. but beings you are on a roll feel free to explain why cars with perfectly operating motors (no ring/ bore/ piston/ valve seal issues whatsoever) with no pcv at all get oil mist in the intake. im sure your can works very well and may be the best in the market or among the best but its not an oil magnet.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Teching In

I have a billet catch can that I bought from the WS6Store. It catches oil well but like LS2 Bait said, oil still gets in there. A few weeks ago I had to remove my intake to replace a bad knock sensor and sure enough, theres still oil in my intake, not as much as before I had the catch can, but its still there.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Banned

you are taking this as a bash and its not. but beings you are on a roll feel free to explain why cars with perfectly operating motors (no ring/ bore/ piston/ valve seal issues whatsoever) with no pcv at all get oil mist in the intake. im sure your can works very well and may be the best in the market or among the best but its not an oil magnet.
It is simple, to meet emmisions & maintain a closed system, GM (and every other auto manufacturer...we have a 2005 C230 Kompressor in right now for mods & the intake is full of oil) uses a fixed orfice in place of a PCV valve now with the intent of restricting the amount of volume the vacuum pulls through the crankcase (up to 2003 still used PCV valves) and it results in to much crankcase pressure allowing the system to back-flow or "burp" into the intake bellows or TB (whichever is used for filtered makeup air for the crankcase) and this is usually containing a good amount of both oil vapor & oil mist. The LS6 style valley cover with built-in baffel does help some, but without a PCV valve to meter or control the amount pulled & prevent back-flow (the PCV valve acts as a check valve) a good amount of this does enter the intake. Without a well designed device to condense & seperate these vapors & mist, there will always be an issue. Why don't these companies incorporate a good seperator in the system? Mainly the service side of it. A do it yourselfer has no problem emptying the can when needed, but the average buyer now days want s a vehicle they do not have to touch....that & the cost. So it is accepted as an issue most car buyers will never be aware of. The other reason is emmisions. as long as the fumes/vapors/mist is ingested into the intake system what is not burned in the combustion process is in the catalitic convertors & does little to contribute to emmisions. To completely eliminate the oil in the intake issue a seperate filtered fresh/make-up air source is needed so there is no way for the oil to enter the induction portion of the engine...besides the vacuum source which with a properly working PCV valve prevents this as well.

We mod all brands and see this issue in virtually every make & model (the Mercedes uses a fixed orfice as well)....we as motor-heads are aware of it because of the power it robs from us & the carbon build-up on the pistons & valves.

My point is to strongly disagree with your claim that no system can eliminate the oil in the intake....and we do it every day. I'll also go so far as to offer to install a system FREE on your car to prove this.....again, as long as there is no leak-down or compression issue. We do see the #7 broken ring-land issue with a good deal of cars that are blowing smoke (usually due to a tuner "pushing" the envelope looking for that last few horses)...and this can only be cured with a R&R of the problem. And yes, we see all manner of "cans" that do little to cure the issue....even though any container plumbed in-line will catch some oil, the vast majority are NOT effective in eliminating the issue.

Originally Posted by Typical-SS
I have a billet catch can that I bought from the WS6Store. It catches oil well but like LS2 Bait said, oil still gets in there. A few weeks ago I had to remove my intake to replace a bad knock sensor and sure enough, theres still oil in my intake, not as much as before I had the catch can, but its still there.

And this is an example of what I stated above....there are some awesome looking & crafted units out there, but very few are designed correctly internally.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:23 PM
9 Second Club

well congrats on a nice product but i will bow out and disagree with your explanation. i see it way too often. on engines in perfect working order.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i dont see LS2 bait's question answered. TLewis, you are still explaining things as if a PCV system is installed, LS2 bait is asking about a motor with breathers, and no PCV system. if your still getting oil on the intake on a properly operating motor, with no PCV system, how can a PCV catch can eleminate the oil in the intake when there is no PCV system for the catch can to eleminate vapors?