General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Throttle/idle hanging up

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Throttle/idle hanging up

I have a 6 speed car, well before once in a while the rpms would hang up and the only way to fix it would be to turn off my car and restart it, just did it every once in a while, but now its doing alot, it only does it if im driving it and i usually have to be driving it for at lest 5 mins. , but depending how fast im going depends on how high it will get stuck and it stays stuck even when i push the clutch in , like i said above, the only thing i can do is turn the car off and restart it but it stills comes back, what does it sound like to you guys, please help me out
Old 06-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

something is obstructing ur throttle body blade! u wouldent happen to have a tornado in there would you?? lol
Old 06-16-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ae13291
something is obstructing ur throttle body blade! u wouldent happen to have a tornado in there would you?? lol
No, lol.....If it was a sensor, do u think turning the car and restarting it wouldnt help, because thats the only thing that will make it stop but it will do it again after i drive it some
Old 06-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try to disconnect ur battery so the pcm can relearn ur system. that can help too! and take a look inside ur throttle body
Old 06-17-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

It actually sounds more like a vacuum leak. If you have access to scanning software, like Autotap, take a look at the throttle position value to see if the sensor is bad.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

First thing that came to mind is throttle position sensor. Totally different car I know, but my old taurus had that go bad and it would sometimes get idling fast enough to go down the road at almost 40mph. Turn it off and back on and it would clear up.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
First thing that came to mind is throttle position sensor. Totally different car I know, but my old taurus had that go bad and it would sometimes get idling fast enough to go down the road at almost 40mph. Turn it off and back on and it would clear up.
Im going to clean the throttle body and see if the throttle cable ius hanging up, but my buddy has an extra TPS that im going to try, the taurus is a different car but it sounds like u had the same problem im having