Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS install: Steering linkage too short with BMR K-member??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default APS install: Steering linkage too short with BMR K-member??

Has anyone else installing an APS kit with a BMR K-member had any problems with the steering linkage being too short? It is just barely touching the steering shaft off the firewall and wont even slip over it.

I cut it in half tonight and looked around for a metal bar that would fit inside of it so I can weld in about an inch or so but nothing fit. I'm going to pick up something tomorrow. This is a BMR problem, not an APS problem obviously. Just wondering if anyone else has run into or heard about this issue and just not posted it.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:03 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW. Did to loosen the top bolt to slide it down all the way??? We done over 10 BMR k members and have never had that problem.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:27 AM
11 Second Club

didnt have that issue with mine.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

no problem with mine either
Old 06-17-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default linkage

mine was short also (but not that short!). was able to loosen up top and bottom to make it work for now, but will look at modifying it later this summer.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:13 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every once in a while you get either a car or a K-member thats a little off, I had a BMR like that a few years ago, it wasnt going to work without making the shaft longer. Put it on another car and it worked just fine, took the PA off of that car and it worked on mine so who knows..
Old 06-17-2008, 01:20 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Had them do that on a few cars took the bolt out of the K member and slide the shaft over installed bolt loosely and then pulled the rack back n place and tightened everything up etc... There is quite a bit of play in the stock steering columns.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, its making me wonder. I tried attaching the linkage to the shaft first; loosened the bolt up top and slid it all the way to the bottom and it would barely go over the rack and pinion connection. It's about a good 3/4" to 1" off.

Inspector 12 and KP, you guys have done a few builds so I figured some experienced guys would chime in with an experience or two like this. Just makes me wonder, what part of the BMR k-member is that far off ya know? I understand build tolerences but one inch off is quite a bit.

I also managed to screw up my airbag/steering wheels controls by turning the wheel too many times while I was trying to fit it on. I heard a small pop come out of the steering wheel. According to a friend of mine whos done the same thing, its the airbag clock spring. No big deal, just another $170!!!! Drop in the bucket now.... guess I won't be having airbags or steering wheel controls for awhile... at least not this summer. I hate this car. I can't wait to get it running so I can get 10mpg @$4.50 for premium. Maybe it will hit $5.30 by the end of the year... I need sleep.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:53 AM
kp
8 Second Club

The one that didnt fit was just their plain old every day one from a few years ago. But like I said it fit fine on another car, you can try to pull the shaft from the car side out some, sometimes you can get 1/2" or so but the one I had it just plain wasnt going to work. I feel your pain about buying stuff thats supposed to just bolt on and it doesnt, its amazing the stock stuff always fits lol.

Sucks about the clockspring, got to be careful with those.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update: So I cut the steering linkage in half at the steering shaft and had a friend start welding the extension in place. Turns out that there is a rubber bushing inside one end of the linkage that helps absorb vibration. It melted and now the shaft in swimming around inside of the end of the linkage. I said no big deal, we'll just weld the shaft to the part its swimming inside of but its freaking aluminum. The swivel ends are steel and so is the entension bar that I bought. So now I am screwed with NO steering linkage since my stock piece is junk and I still have no freaking clue why it was too short to begin with. Why does everyone else have no problems and mine is one inch too short?? It really makes no sense at all. I bought the K-member brand new after the APS kit came out and told them it was for an APS kit. It is the same K-member that everyone else bought that fits fine. I almost feel like APS or BMR should pay for this **** I'm so pissed off.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry I didn't see this post earlier....(maybe should of gave me a call) I have only ran into this a couple of times and as KP said there seems to be no reason for it. Give me a call on Monday and I can go over all the things to check on the install. I believe a might have an extra stock steering shaft out in the shop .....
Old 06-22-2008, 12:57 AM
MASS seller approved

We should have a stock steering shaft also if one is needed.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the help guys. Lee: the rack is top notch, nice welds, good fit, wasn't hard to install at all in my opinion except for this. The ONLY thing I can think off is that the rack and pinion bolt points are one inch towards the passenger side of where they should be. Even with a replacement stock steering shaft, it still won't reach. Only thing I can think of now is to buy another extension piece and drill a hole down the middle on each side (once it is cut in half again) and use a stage 8 bolt to keep it in place. Any other ideas?
Old 06-23-2008, 06:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The stock column is collapsible. You can pull the piece coming out of the firewall out about an inch.

225-343-9029
Old 06-23-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I pulled on it a little (didn't want to break anything else) and it didn't have any play at all. It actually began to suck the gasket around the shaft out of the firewall. What do you mean by collapsible? Maybe (hopefully) I am overlooking something. That would be great.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

Mine is short.... going to try loosening the bottom then try to attach it.

Quick Reply: APS install: Steering linkage too short with BMR K-member??