Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I PRIME the oil pump after cam and Rollmaster install

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Should I PRIME the oil pump after cam and Rollmaster install

Finally got my new cam and Rollmaster double chain in. Had to use the JPR tool because I had problems with a couple of the magnets letting the lifters fall down just enough to snag the cam as I was removing it. I removed the oil pump to install the Rollmaster double chain. Do I need to PRIME the oil pump before startup? If so what it the procedure? If I spin the engine over with the plugs, rockers and pushrods removed should I be able to see an oil pressure reading on the dashboard gauge as I spin the engine with no compression or valve spring pressure?
Old 08-15-2003, 10:32 PM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Should I PRIME the oil pump after cam and Rollmaster install

In order to get the oil pump primed, you don't need to pul the plugs or the rocker arms. Just pull the PCM BAT fuse and crank the motor over in cycles not to exceed 10 seconds each untill you see oil pressure on the gage.

Ryan K.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:52 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do that procedure but I don't recomend it just my .02. That slow spinning will wear on it just as much as if it running if not more. When Ive done cam installs the car started up and imediatlly the oil presure cam up on a previous occation did the procedure you are talking about and I had to turn the motor over for quite a while so after doing both I like the idea of just letting the motor prim itself again just my opinion do what ever makes you feel comfortable or better. Good luck and enjoy your car!
Old 08-16-2003, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with above, and i would never crank motor over with out lifters preloaded with valvetrain on. This would probably bleed off most oil pressure from random positions of lifters and exposed oil passage holes.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no need to prime the pump. Mine had full pressure in about 2-3 seconds on startup after installing a complete H/C, oil pump, push rods, rockers, dbl row chain, etc. Just be sure to put plenty of pre-lube on your cam and also pour a little oil over your rockers before you install the rocker covers.

Quick Reply: Should I PRIME the oil pump after cam and Rollmaster install