General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

security system troubles

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default security system troubles

Well, my security light has been on for a couple weeks, and now my car won't start. The light came on after the alarm went off when I unlocked the car from the inside while the windows were down, and it's been on ever since. I don't have my owners manual, so I'm not sure how to reset it, if that's possible. I came out after work to star my car yesterday, and it wouldn't start. Now, the security light is flashing. Nothing at all happens when I turn the key, but everything else like the radio and lights work. It won't even let me roll start it, it acts the the computer won't let it. What needs fixed in this situation? At my local gm dealership, they said it would cost $20 to test my key. What should I do? btw, I don't have $20 to spend if the key may not be the problem. This minimum wage/15 mpg/$4.45 a gallon gas stuff is killing me.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Flashing means it can't read your key. Take a pencil eraser to the contacts on the side of the key to clean them off, insert and remove the key a few times, then try to start.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks, i'll try that. anything else I could try to get it going?