Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else's headers look like this?? Pics....

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody else's headers look like this?? Pics....

they looked like this when i bought the car... it's digusting i know, but i was just wondering if anybody else's looked like this and if these are no good anymore or if they just need a good cleaning?!
they are pacesetter's btw.... thanks
Attached Thumbnails Anybody else's headers look like this?? Pics....-picture-002.jpg   Anybody else's headers look like this?? Pics....-picture-004.jpg   Anybody else's headers look like this?? Pics....-picture-006.jpg  
Old 06-17-2008, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Were they ever coated?
Old 06-17-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sadly mine do, Edelbrock LT's with Ti-Coating..
Old 06-17-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Silver98Formula79
Were they ever coated?
obviously not, to be honest that looks hilarious haha HAHA sucks to be you..jk just get some rust thinner and take them off and get the mcoated. But remember you gotta clean them once a year to prevent rust
Old 06-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
obviously not, to be honest that looks hilarious haha HAHA sucks to be you..jk just get some rust thinner and take them off and get the mcoated. But remember you gotta clean them once a year to prevent rust
prob a dumb question but how do i get them coated?
and if i dont get them coated then will they eventually get holes in them?

and i apparently they never were coated... but idk
Old 06-17-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by brandon_01_ta
prob a dumb question but how do i get them coated?
and if i dont get them coated then will they eventually get holes in them?

and i apparently they never were coated... but idk
just contact jet-hot and they should coat them for around 100 dollars. With the way that rust looks you never know but that looks bad, just go to autozone and get some rust thinner and spray the **** out of the mand see how well you can get it all off, but in the long run youre going to want to get them coated because they'll go right back to the way they are now
Old 06-17-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the amount of trouble taking those off, then paying for coating... you might as well get a new set that are already coated IMO...
Old 06-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
the amount of trouble taking those off, then paying for coating... you might as well get a new set that are already coated IMO...
kinda what i was thinking.... because i would have to get a local shop to take them off anyway and i would imagine it wouldnt be too cheap...
Old 06-17-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

You can get you a nice set of BBK LT's that are ceramic coated along with an ORY pipe for $499

I've got them and they are really nice quality and fitment...
Old 06-17-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

mine are hedman uncoated and yes they look similar but not as bad.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Veteran

yea that is true, it's whatever you wanna do, either way yooure going to pay a shop to remove them in both circumstance ans will be paying more to buy new ones
Old 06-17-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get stainless. Wont have to worry about that.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

those look horrible!!! i was gonna buy some un-coated lts for the lt1 but not anymore!
Old 06-18-2008, 12:20 AM
11 Second Club

Those were coated, you can tell by the parts that haven't rusted yet. Their uncoated headers are painted black, so there would be black paint somewhere on them if they were uncoated.

I have seen two sets of coated pacesetters do that in person. I guess rain will do that to them.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it was mine I'd just keep driving them until they rust through.. then get a stainless steel set. really not worth it at all to take them off or bother doing anything to them unless you are replacing them with SS ones.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Keenov
Those were coated, you can tell by the parts that haven't rusted yet. Their uncoated headers are painted black, so there would be black paint somewhere on them if they were uncoated.

I have seen two sets of coated pacesetters do that in person. I guess rain will do that to them.
Yeah you're right.... i found the part # looked them up on Summitt and turns out they were coated... how they got that bad i have no idea, but like i said thats how they were when i bought the car... i guess the bastard who had the car before me didn't take care of them very well.... i'm afraid they are leaking and if not already they will be soon... but i dont really have the cash to get new ones just yet so i guess i'll get some rust cleaner and see how well i can clean them up and go from there..... :/
Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by brandon_01_ta
Yeah you're right.... i found the part # looked them up on Summitt and turns out they were coated... how they got that bad i have no idea, but like i said thats how they were when i bought the car... i guess the bastard who had the car before me didn't take care of them very well.... i'm afraid they are leaking and if not already they will be soon... but i dont really have the cash to get new ones just yet so i guess i'll get some rust cleaner and see how well i can clean them up and go from there..... :/
wow than never buy summit racing headers if those were coated!! that's ridiculous
Old 06-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Banned

I've had many sets of uncoated headers and never had one rust through. I've had one set that was coated and it ended up like those.
Those in the pic were coated. And theres a leak on the pass side O2 bung.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't worry about them rusting through. I had some Edelbrock uncoated headers on my 1990 Camaro for 7 years, they were rusted pretty bad put worked perfectly. Scratch them with a screwdriver and you will see that it is probably just thick surface rust. Also, if the rust can only be seen if you get under the car or open the hood I wouldn't worry about it, but if you can see the rusted header standing 10-20 feet from the car then I would probably just spray that section that can be seen with some black hi-temp paint every once in a while. No use of throwing away good headers.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
You can get you a nice set of BBK LT's that are ceramic coated along with an ORY pipe for $499

I've got them and they are really nice quality and fitment...
If your going gto spend that much go with the XS/LPP Stainless headers. They will hold up longer than a coated or uncoated one would. Deff worth the extra $$$ because you dont have to worry abotu taking them off and getting them coated, or spraying them with ****. STainless dumdumdum.