Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

what paint color should i go with on a pewter trans am...

Old 06-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what paint color should i go with on a pewter trans am...

I ordered ATE rotors and hawk pads from strano and i decided to paint the calipers while i have everything off. I have a pewter trans am, just curious what color you guys think i should paint. I was thinking black caliper and red brackets with red "trans am" stickers. What do you guys think of that? Any pictures would be GREATLY appreciated
Old 06-17-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would go black with pewter brackets if you could but i doubt you would get a good pewter color. Idk I think blue would look pretty good, like blue with black brackets and chrome decals, idk. I have red calipers/black brackets/chrome camaro ss decals on my black SS but black and red go a lot better together.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine are red..it looks ok..
Old 06-17-2008, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by greg_74
I would go black with pewter brackets if you could but i doubt you would get a good pewter color. Idk I think blue would look pretty good, like blue with black brackets and chrome decals, idk. I have red calipers/black brackets/chrome camaro ss decals on my black SS but black and red go a lot better together.
yea its tough cause even though pewter is a neutral color its tough picking what would look best. I always wanted a black trans am but came across this one and fell in love. Now i realize what i didnt then, picking colors is tough but with black you could pretty much pick any color and run with it.

Originally Posted by yeller_xtc
mine are red..it looks ok..
well where the hell are the pictures
Old 06-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Launching!

any other oppinions? pictures?
Old 06-19-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have red calipers with black brackets on my Silver Bird. I think it looks good... I believe there have been some threads about this topic... try a search and see if you can find it.. it had a bunch of pics of different peoples combos.

I don't think I would go red bracket with black caliper though... seems to me like you'd be showcasing the wrong piece if you did that..
Old 06-19-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slvr00Bird
I don't think I would go red bracket with black caliper though... seems to me like you'd be showcasing the wrong piece if you did that..
I agree although I have had a couple guys say if you do that it makes your brakes look bigger, but I like the look of the red caliper/black bracket. I just thing blue might look a little better with pewter.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have black calipers with silver brackets, looks good, sorry no pics.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm partial to black calipers and brackets with chrome decals.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Launching!

i tried a search and couldnt really find anything with pewters or pictures for that matter. I think i may try to go pewter (or something similar) caliper and black brackets. Only thing with that is that I wont be able to get pewter decals for the caliper. In that case I may go black calipers/silver brackets and silver decals. I dunno
Old 06-19-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you're dead set on a similar color caliper then I'd go a pewter color with a black bracket and black decals on the calipers. Or you could do a charcoal or something to that effect. I think something along those lines would look really clean
Old 06-19-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you're dead set on a similar color caliper then I'd go a pewter color with a black bracket and black decals on the calipers. Or you could do a charcoal or something to that effect. I think something along those lines would look really clean
Charcoal could def work. Charcoal calipers, black brackets, and chrome decals?
Old 06-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Launching!

you may be onto something with the pewter caliper black bracket and black decals....also the charcoal doesnt sound too bad either....

Charcoal could def work. Charcoal calipers, black brackets, and chrome decals?
another good suggestion....

next question what paint and where could i find it? preferably something with a WIDE variety of colors to choose from...
Old 06-20-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1ssws6
next question what paint and where could i find it? preferably something with a WIDE variety of colors to choose from...
Hmmm, I'm not sure if they have a wide selection of colors, but I used the duplicolor kit from autozone or advance (can't really remember). It comes with a can of paint, brushes, etc. I put it on moderately think and it is still looking great and bright with no chips, cracks, etc. If they offer the color selection you're looking for then I'd definitely consider them. I've also seen a clear for calipers. After you put the graphics down you could hit it with some of that and probably make them last a long time?

At any rate, goodluck and post up pics when you get done.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmmm, I'm not sure if they have a wide selection of colors, but I used the duplicolor kit from autozone or advance (can't really remember). It comes with a can of paint, brushes, etc. I put it on moderately think and it is still looking great and bright with no chips, cracks, etc. If they offer the color selection you're looking for then I'd definitely consider them. I've also seen a clear for calipers. After you put the graphics down you could hit it with some of that and probably make them last a long time?

Duplicolor is pretty good. VHT caliper paint is good stuff too, thats what I used on my SS.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Launching!

thanks...and i will post pics when i get it all done

Duplicolor is pretty good. VHT caliper paint is good stuff too, thats what I used on my SS.
'
where can i get VHT at? Also what is a good clear to use?
Old 06-21-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1ssws6
where can i get VHT at? Also what is a good clear to use?
I got mine from a local auto parts store, not Advanced or anything more of a small town type store. You can also get it on the internet there are probably some site sponsors that have it. I didn't use any clear though, just multiple coats of paint and then I let it drive overnight and then I put the decals on.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Restricted User

Tough question but some good responses. Thats like when guys with red camaros ask: black or chrome halos? There's no easy answers. I'd just stick with the tried and true red calipers with black brackets.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Resident

Damn Eric, youre goin all out recently. I say black caliper/bracket w/ chrome lettering. Make sure if you do the duplicolor kit to do a clearcoat over it. Otherwise theyre a bitch to keep clean and the decals can start to peel off.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a pewter car. I went w/ gloss black caliper w/ flat black bracket.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what paint color should i go with on a pewter trans am...