Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

dropping trans.. getting a new clutch what else?

Old 06-17-2008, 09:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dropping trans.. getting a new clutch what else?

Gunna go with a textralia z-grip, reason being is because I dropped a socket in the damn bellhousing when bleeding the fluid.. it fell off the damn ratchet ( i should have taped it ) then my damn magnet got stuck in there somewhere trying to get it. Bad day.. so I plan to put some more power in this car, probably around 450 for the mean time and am not going to play around with say an ls7 clutch. SO i mine as well do it now while its dropped. Any pointers, comments, or other things I should replace as well.. Car has about 36k on it. THanks!
Old 06-17-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

the tex oz 700 is a great clutch, im am sure you will be happy with it. i would get your self some swevel sockets, i forget what size but they will help you out a lot. remove the trans from the bell first and replace the slave while your in there. it is very straight forward task hope all goes well.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

yeah a buddy told me that as well.. Said it helps to take the trans off from the bell housing first to prevent damage to the hump underneath and it also being easier.. Have the swevel sockets. So i should upgrade the slave too, im guessing the one that tex sells?
Old 06-17-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by crazy3rdgen
So i should upgrade the slave too, im guessing the one that tex sells?
i think there all the same.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

k its on the way. I havent done the drill mod yet either.. so i should be very satisified when all said and done. Next i guess i'll go with a rear and d/s and ta
Old 06-18-2008, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

yay trans out. Did it by myself, it worked out pretty good, when sliding trans out towards the rear it smacked me in the face but id rather have that then something scratched on the car!, no dents or dings on this removal. When putting it up i'll have someone to help me, so that should be easier.

Can you spot 2 things that shouldn't be in there? hint hint - a small circle magnet and a socket lol and for reference, no i never turned the car over with these things in there. Z-GRIP on the way!
Old 06-18-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

What did you use to lower the tranny down ?

Old 06-18-2008, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

i used a jack with a trans jack attachment with a blanket on top of it. This basically just kept the trans from rolling side to side. The car would have to be way too high and unsafe for me to be able to actually slide it out on the jack.. so once i lowered it as low as it could go.. i then found out i needed to remove the Y pipe to slide the trans out that way toward the rear.....
Old 06-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by crazy3rdgen
i used a jack with a trans jack attachment with a blanket on top of it. This basically just kept the trans from rolling side to side. The car would have to be way too high and unsafe for me to be able to actually slide it out on the jack.. so once i lowered it as low as it could go.. i then found out i needed to remove the Y pipe to slide the trans out that way toward the rear.....

I also have a question about removal...when unbolting everything from the block what all was involved....I think in your picture you just unbolted the the bellhousing??? Sorry to hijack but I am trying to pull the motor and unbolt the tranny.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:12 PM
12 Second Club

so far i only unbolted the trans off of the bellhousing.. as i hear that it is much easier and youre less prone to damage the paint when dropping it. I ran out of time.. I'll take the bellhousing off tomorrow or something. Textralia still hasnt sent me a payment method yet, so i have plenty of time : ( . Also when putting the trans back in , put the bellhousing on first.. then the trans. Its easier.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was just curious about how you removed the trans because
I see grass in the pictures. Was wondering how you can roll
the jack on grass.

I've had my trans out a couple times. Amazing how heavy it is.
I did mine in my garage on the concrete floor. lol
I used a pad to lay on however. I also used a trans adaptor as well,
which helped alot. Taking the bellhousing off last is the easiest
way to go. One would have to be a sadist to do otherwise.

Looking good so far ... keep the good work.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:35 AM
12 Second Club

yeah.. those damn attachments are big... and i lost a lot of space with it.. I was mainly looking for something to support the trans and bring it down enough for me to slide it out of the way. I need a shop badly ,ive been working on my other cars like this for years. it sucks!
Old 06-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Launching!

One thing that always helped me when working on the grass was a 1/2 inch piece of plywood. This would allow for me to roll the jack if I was in my driveway or in the grass. Other than that thanks for the help....and how is your car so clean underneath. My has not seen rain or 1,000 miles for almost a year and it is not that clean???

Where did you find the transmission attachment for the jack??
Old 06-19-2008, 10:32 AM
12 Second Club

I found the attachement at a local car parts store.. its not that great but is ok..

And as for the underneath being so clean... I clean it when the car is up in the air and that helps for it to stay in good condition. About 3-4 years ago the car had 7k on it and was always garage kept. I always keep it stored, never drive it in the winter... only a start up here and there in the winter. And i always keep those little crystals in the cup that suck up the moisture. Here's another : ) There is a slight surface rust in areas, such as on one of the black plugs in the floor.. that circle has a tad on it. Just gotta stay on top of things i guess.. Plus it helps to buy a car where the previous owners took great care of the car as you would.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Launching!

Wow....guess thats a good thing about a low mileage car....keep us posted on the new clutch.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

its actually about to turn 37k soon.. I guess its still considered low miled but i do take care of her : ) , Whats the bottom of yours look like?
Old 06-27-2008, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

finally got a chance to pull the old pressure plate/clutch and flywheel out.Yeah i deff got clutch dust all over myself.. but man.. I thought i was gunna have hell trying to keep the engine from turning over when loosening these bolts.. The bolts for the pressure plate, the engine never even turned when loosening them, they are barely even tight yet none backed out? Didn't see any obvious loctite either.. My new clutch and all arrived today : ) I can't wait till shes back together.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Teching In

While you are there repace the piolet bearing and the Throw out bearing (unless it comes with you new slave). Im glad you didnt go with the LS7 clutch, that whats I had and I put in H/C (420hp) and the first time i floored it burned that sucker up. Bitch of a time getting it home then put a tex in it.

And i would not use the aligment tool that they give with you. Use a imput shaft from a transmission if you have one, I justed use the entire transmission as the alignment tool. Belive me you will be sorry if you use what tex gives you, i was.
Also, make sure to torque the flywheel and clutch correctly.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:02 PM
12 Second Club

their alignment tool worked fine for me.. However I could get the damn trans to push its dowel pins into the bellhousing. We pulled the trans off a few times just to check things and it was all fine. so carefully I put in a few bolts and it easily worked itself in. WEIRD. But worked out well. Everything is torqued to spec in the manner the manual calls for.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any suggestions on getting the tranny out of the bell housing? Tommorow i plan on dropping mine. I only got to the bottom 4 bolts, tommorows the "fun" day

Search this Thread