Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Push Start Engine WOW??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 03:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Push Start Engine WOW??

Well i looked on autotrader and found this 40 miles away. wonder who did this LOL!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=40
Old 06-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.bowlingss.com/Mods/Instal...e%20Switch.mht
Old 06-18-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so i'm assuming there is no transponder and that anyone who feels like breaking a window can just push the button and go?

would be cool if it was Knight Rider'ish and had some sort of fingerprint reader or something so it would only start if the right person wanted to start it

or do you still have to have the key in the on position to unlock the steering wheel/transmission shift lock (on an auto)
Old 06-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

I've looked into this. The key has to be in the "on" position to complete the circuit.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ban1dit
I've looked into this. The key has to be in the "on" position to complete the circuit.
Yeah, and to unlock the steering wheel and shifter (A4). Its sort of useless. Actually it just adds a step to the process of cranking the car...put the key in the ignition, switch it on, reach down and press "START".
Old 06-18-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

It's like windows. Who the **** wants to press Start to shut down a computer?
Old 06-18-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
Yeah, and to unlock the steering wheel and shifter (A4). Its sort of useless. Actually it just adds a step to the process of cranking the car...put the key in the ignition, switch it on, reach down and press "START".

seems kind of retarded then. i thought the whole point of a push start was so you didnt have to carry keys
Old 06-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

I don't know how that set up is, but my friend has a new Altima that is push button start and so long as he has his key with the chip, in his possesion he can unlock the car ( not the keyless entry we have) and just start the car using the push button start all without actually taking the keys out of his pocket and putting it into the ignition. Short of that kind of set up, I think push button starts are pointless.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kct385
I don't know how that set up is, but my friend has a new Altima that is push button start and so long as he has his key with the chip, in his possesion he can unlock the car ( not the keyless entry we have) and just start the car using the push button start all without actually taking the keys out of his pocket and putting it into the ignition. Short of that kind of set up, I think push button starts are pointless.

Yeah, thats the way the factory ones in new cars work. But the "upgrade" kits dont have anywhere near the technology. Like I said you still have to put the key in he ignition just to unlock the steering wheel and shifter.

One question about the Altima though...how do you shut it off? Do you press START again?
Old 06-19-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You COULD, fairly easily (but with a bunch of work), make it so you don't need the key to unlock the wheel OR shifter. You'd just have to remove the lock components, and remove VATS. To get power to the car, you would need to rig in a rocker/toggle switch though. But putting that right next to the START button wouldn't be hard either. And if you had remote start, you'd be set heh
Old 06-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
One question about the Altima though...how do you shut it off? Do you press START again?
I drove one when I was on vacation earlier this year and the button is dual labeled as START and STOP but it is the same button.

Quick Reply: Push Start Engine WOW??