Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complete Engine Buildup in 30 Days?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 06:00 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Complete Engine Buildup in 30 Days?

Ok so I am stationed in Korea right now and I come home In May of 2009 for my midtour. Before I left North Carolina My 02 Z28 possibly spun a bearing or has a dead lifter, and to top that off the transmission lost reverse and the tranny pretty much commited suicide. It has 60,000 miles on it and now I get to tear into it and build it to be as bulletproof as possible. For once money is not the problem but time is of the essence. It would be great to get it up and running within the 30 day window or sooner so I can enjoy it before I go back to Korea for another year. I have a buddy who's shop and tools I can use as well as a lift and my dad and uncle are pretty good with motors but I am tearing the block all the way down for the most part and slapping on a new performabuilt tranny and converter, The motor will get the full treatment with pretty much forged everything and a good cleaning. I am also doing heads and cam and all boltons at the same time, so I wonder if I have enough time to build it all up and have it running so I can take it up to a tuner shop to get a dnyo reading and a tune all within 30 days and enough time to at least enjoy it. Here is the current list of stuff that I have on my list please feel free to chime in on anything I am forgetting for the buildup.

Ok so hear it is..... price list: (shipping not included) Total So Far (excludes Gaskets, Fluids, Arp Engine Bolts,) $5536.09 Total For Engine/$1800.00 for Transmission W/Converter and Cooler Included in the engine price list is as follows:

Texas speed heads, Camshaft, Dual Valvesprings, Valve Seals, Titanium Retainers, Spring Seats, Chromeoly Pushrods, Blueprinted Ls6 Oil Pump, Timing Chain, Lifters, Main Bearings, Rod Bearings, Longtube Headers, O2 Extensions/Simulators, True Dual Exhaust, ARP Header Bolts/Studs, Roller Rockers, Hypertech Thermostat, Pro Engine Cleaning Kit, Header Gaskets.... Not too bad I think...

Not Included- Pistons, Connecting Rods, ARP engine bolts, Master Gasket Set, Possible 25% reduction Underdrive Pulley Questions? Do you think I need to get connecting rods and pistons? for running nitrous I think I should but do you think it is overkill? The underdrive pulley is recommended but I don't know if it is necessary though If there is anything else I need or forgot let me know so I can research it please... thanks for the input

\
Old 06-18-2008, 07:25 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to get my last motor completely built in almost exactly 30 days. The biggest downtime was the machine shop. I was still in Michigan at the time. I didn't go with the local hack artists, I took the block, crank, rods, pistons, bearings, head gaskets etc... down to Steve Morris Race Engines. They initially cleaned the block, bored and torque plate honed, balanced the rotating assembly. That took about 2 weeks, that was with them pushing me into their busy schedule, thanks Steve! Got all the stuff back, I deburred and cleaned the block, and I final assembled it. I had to pull some strings and call in a couple of favors, but I got it built in my time window before I moved. So it is possible.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Launching!

Short block. No machining required. Keeps your timetable in your hands. Price is comparable. This way you can justify springing for the 416. Thats an additional 416-346=70 foot-lbs guaranteed. It's so easy even cavemen can do it.

I know, I know, if ur being cheep, get the heads next year. You know you're going back to the Middle Ea$t again, anyway.

Order MORE than you expect for just-in-case scenarios, return later. Such as hydraulics. That way you aren't waiting for parts. Make sure you have enough time for the parts to get to your house before you begin. Have someone inventory to check part arrival.

Make sure you have a local source for parts that aren't part of the normal maintenance routine. They might not be performance-oriented, but they'll keep the project going.

Order parts using methods that will ensure as complete as possible. Don't forget bolts such as flywheel, gaskets, specialty tools, etc.... Listen to your vendor. Yes, this means you need to order pistons (if you're not as smart as a caveman, see above).

Research procedures to ensure no backing up. Do you want to shim the oil pump .002"? Rear seal alignment? Know and decide beforehand, or let builder do it for you.

Hope on a little luck. Have an agreement to let dad finish when ur gone. And sell everything off thats left over.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:56 AM
Launching!

wait a minute, r u one of those semen or flyboys?
Old 06-18-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why not just by a longblock from TSP? Or if you already have the heads and cam. Why not buy a shortblock from TSP and let them slap it together for you. That way you can have it waiting on you to come home. And you will be able to sink your valve seats if you need to and Jason can shave down the CCs and get you some more torque, get the quench right and such. And if you let them do it all I'm sure they can cut you a deal.

Last edited by NC98Z; 06-18-2008 at 01:32 PM. Reason: add
Old 06-18-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by danf1000
wait a minute, r u one of those semen or flyboys?
Lol, let me guess you are a Airforce/Army guy?
Old 06-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Launching!

yes I am in the Air Force anf have been a aircraft maintainer on the F-15E for 4 years now. It's a rough job at times but I love it..
Old 06-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Launching!

I think the 383 assembled block might be the right way to go from tsp. I am still doing more research on that option so if you think I am better off with a bigger cubic inch than let me know.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I blew my engine up while on leave in North Dakota once. TSP got me all the parts I needed to get back on the road. I was headed back to my duty station one week after the boom! That's pretty impressive imo especially considering the distance parts needed to travel. All I did was explain my situation and that time was very short. I wouldn't hesitate to bet your 30 days on them.