Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trouble w/ 2nd and 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trouble w/ 2nd and 4th gear

Sorry for the novel below fella's... But I've never even seen the inside of a T-56 before and have no clue what these symptoms mean. Im also broke at the moment, so I'm gonna need to do any work myself. Here's my story, let me know what you think.

My stock 01 SS started giving me trouble a while back with it popping out of 2nd gear once in a while. Realized that if I revved the car slightly higher in 1st, it went into 2nd flawlessly. So I kept driving it, skipping to third if I was in slow traffic.

The other morning, I drove the car to work and didn't have a single problem all the way there. A few blocks before work, I stood on it in 1st from a slow roll and grabbed 2nd quickly. But not power shifting at all and it went into 2nd fine. At the next stop sign, I pulled out easy and it wouldn't go into 2nd for me at all and grinded loudly.

On the way home, I skipped 2nd pulled it gently through 3rd, and then shifted into 4th. It popped out as soon as I let up the clutch. Had to drive the rest of the way home using only 1, 3, 5. Tried to go into 2nd gear in front of my house and it just would not go in. I could not hear, but could feel a nasty grinding feeling through the shifter.

Last edited by Fire67; 06-18-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have an aftermarket shifter with stops, check to make sure it hasn't worked free on the 2/4/6 side of the shifter. If that isn't the case broken fork pads can cause the syncro assembly to not engage fully also causing the gear to grind and/or kick the stick back. If its popping out, either something is keeping the slider from engaging completely or the syncro teeth on the gear or slider have become so worn that it just won't stay engaged.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, 2nd and 4th don't really share anything inside the trans, so you're dealing with a shifter issue, or 2 separate issues...
Old 06-19-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice, will check the shifter stops tonight. It's a Pro5.0
Old 06-19-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good call guys! I was fearin the worst, and it was just the stop screws on my Pro5.0 shifter. Whoever installed it, never cut the rubber seal to fit down under the stopper ring... So I had to do some cutting before being able to access the stopper screws. The nut on the rear one had worked loose and the screw moved in toward the shifter. Causing all the damn problems.

Thanks again guys!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am having the same problem... Just won't go into second gear... When it does, it doesn't go in straight and it almost feels like something is blocking it from going into the gear correctly.. I have the Pro 5.0 as well..

Sometimes 2nd, 4th, and 6th will do the same thing, but second is the worst..

Were you able to adjust the stops without taking out the center console?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

No problem with the console base in place. Just remove the top part (the part the boot attaches to).

That is of course assuming that the rubber boot attached to the tunnel was correctly modified to fit the Pro5.0 shifter. It's supposed to be cut out so that the ring on the shifter base sits above the rubber boot, mine wasn't so I had to remove teh console base to get it off and cut it out.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hmm, I don't remember if mine was or not.. Any way you can get a picture of what it's supposed to look like?

It gets pretty bad sometimes.. Yesterday I couldn't even really move it out of neutral for a good 15 seconds.. Couldn't move it anywhere, feels like there's something in the keeping it from going into some of the gears correctly, and sometimes it gets really tough to shift.. Driving me crazy.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's more than likely the stop screws causing your issues. I had to remove mine and clean them along with the threaded holes so that I could get some lock-tight on the threads and prevent them from moving again. Once they loosen up, they will move around alot.

Go to the Pro5.0 website for complete instructions, including a picture of what the modded boot should look like.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Teching In

thans guys, you saved me, took longer for the locktite to dry then to take everything apart to ajust the screw

Quick Reply: Trouble w/ 2nd and 4th gear