Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev limiter

Old 06-19-2008, 03:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rev limiter

Just how much abuse can the LS1 take? I'm looking to buy a LS1 F body and the dude on the test run pegged the Rev limiter 2 times just during that run.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I shift at 6700rpm but with upgraded valve train. My friend kent has a 99 ta m6 thats fullboltons 224cam,ported ls1heads,bbkintake manifold and a jerry formato tune with 120xxx miles and he shifts a 6500 most of the time. And that setup has him beating vortech and procharged gts all day. So it should be fine. How many miles are on it btw?
Old 06-19-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

Old 06-19-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It shouldn't hurt the motor to tap it a few times, but it is an indicator of what the motor has been through. If this dude was willing to smack the limiter while trying to sell the car, with a potential buyer in the car, it sounds like he cares very little about it and beats on it quite a bit. Think about what he may have done/how he would have driven if you had not been in the car.... May not be true, but just a bit of my logic.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the ls1 engine can take a ****-ton of abuse. my stock longblock car lived on the rev limiter for over 25k miles and it never missed a beat. never had a second's worth of trouble out of it. don't be scared. make sure there is oil in that sumbitch and run the dogshit out of it.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:36 AM
12 Second Club

i run my car up to 6600 with a hotcam and upgraded valvetrain....ive tapped the 6600 limiter a couple times but i would definatly not hold it on there..not because i was afraid it would break but because i would feel bad about beating on it...

however my buddy lived on his rev limiter all stock and the motor still runs good
Old 06-19-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ryarbrough
It shouldn't hurt the motor to tap it a few times, but it is an indicator of what the motor has been through. If this dude was willing to smack the limiter while trying to sell the car, with a potential buyer in the car, it sounds like he cares very little about it and beats on it quite a bit. Think about what he may have done/how he would have driven if you had not been in the car.... May not be true, but just a bit of my logic.
What he said ^^
Old 06-19-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Well I found a Cherry TA with low miles. Although I love the SS styling I think I may have to go for the bad #$$ TA. Money I'd spend "reconditioning" I could have a quarter or half an STS turbo system. Plus a ton less problems in the long run.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ryarbrough
EXACTLY!

Engine will be ok but its seen its share of abuse.

I've bounced mine a number of time including a few misshifts to 7200 (with upgraded springs and pushrods).

Search this Thread