Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

4th gear going out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4th gear going out?

so can anyone tell me exactly what is wrong here, i am pretty sure it is an internal tranny issue anytime i shift into fourth at WOT, or actually anything above 2k rpms, it pops right out of gear, doesn't do it in normal driving, and there is no grinding noise, it just pops right out. also, if i am in 4th, put in the clutch, rev to 1800+ rpms, and pop the clutch, it will pop out as well. any ideas?
Old 06-19-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Possibly a bent 3/4 shift fork, or the synchro keys. The fork is more likely since you're not having issues with 3rd.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Banned

I would start by checking the tip of the input shaft for wear and changing the pilot bearing in the crank shaft . I just did one the other day with a similiar issue and I had already rebuilt it before with the upgraded fork , billet keys and bronze pads so I knew that wasn't an issue . I ended up changing the 3-4 slider and the input shaft because I could see some taper going on in the area where the slider locks on to the gear and figured that was the issue . I called the shop the other day to confirm that fixed it and they said so far so good .
Old 06-19-2008, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by thesource
I would start by checking the tip of the input shaft for wear and changing the pilot bearing in the crank shaft . I just did one the other day with a similiar issue and I had already rebuilt it before with the upgraded fork , billet keys and bronze pads so I knew that wasn't an issue . I ended up changing the 3-4 slider and the input shaft because I could see some taper going on in the area where the slider locks on to the gear and figured that was the issue . I called the shop the other day to confirm that fixed it and they said so far so good .
well, my pilot bearing has been making a lot of noise, and i have that along with my ls7 clutch kit ready for install, i just thought that since it only does it in 1 gear, that the pilot isn't the issue, and no use going thru all the trouble of installing the new clutch/pilot if i am gonna have to drop the tranny again right after to fix this issue
Old 01-13-2009, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

well, it took long enough, but i finally got the new clutch and pilot in. when we pulled the stock clutch, the old pilot bearing had literally turned to dust, there was just the inner and outer rings, and that was it. i am very surprised that the tranny was still shifting at all, and there seems to be no problems with about 200 miles on the new clutch and pilot

Quick Reply: 4th gear going out?