General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

voltage low help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 06:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default voltage low help!!!!!

ok guys i have a 96 formula bird that when u r running down the road the gauge says its charging at about 13.5 or 14 volts. but once the car is warmed up and i come to a stop at idle the gauge drops to like 10 or 10.5 volts. and yes i do have a crankshaft underdrive pulley, but it was doing this before i put that on. so im stumped. please help. i also have a new remanufactured alternator on this lt-1 so. idk? what is wrong. thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

You got a big stereo? My alternator does the same thing, just not as bad as yours. My guess is that your underdrive pulley is making it worse. I would consider upgrading the "Big 3" and going with a High-Output Alternator. Do a search on the stereo forum for "Big 3 Upgrade." Make sure everything in the charging system is good before you drop the coin for an HO Alt though. Possably consider taking it to an experianced tech for a through check up.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you put a multimeter on your car? That voltage gauge doesn't seem to be very accurate. Mine says that I am well under 13 volts when idling. Take it to autozone or discount auto and have them check your charging system to be certain.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Launching!

No i dont have a big stereo. i have nothing extra that would draw that much power at idle. i guess i will try to get my alternator and charging system checked.