General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolent Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Coolent Sensor

i know this is a newbie question but how do you get the coolent sensor out? i dont want to break it, i just want to clean it. my light has been on for the past 3 days all the time from when i turn it on to when i turn it off. the overflow resevior is completely full so i know it is not low
Old 06-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about that year model but the older (LT1's) the low coolant sensor was held in by a square C type clip, the fingers of the clip slide around both sides of the sensor. You just pulled the clip up and off and the sensor comes right out.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This thread has some info: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/934978-how-do-you-remove-coolant-sensor.html

No worries driving your car as-is for a while. The bad sensor won't impact any other systems.

I think I have a way to do the swap with out needing to drain any coolant from the system. My new sensor now in the mail and I hope to have it in next weekend. I plan to post the procedure and pics to the post above, if you are interested.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by my bandit
i know this is a newbie question but how do you get the coolent sensor out? i dont want to break it, i just want to clean it. my light has been on for the past 3 days all the time from when i turn it on to when i turn it off. the overflow resevior is completely full so i know it is not low
Mine has been on for 4 years. I had it out once when it first started staying on and a radiator shop pressure washed it and it did nothing. Get a new one or unplg it if it bothers you.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cleaning it can help, seeing wat dex crap does to the rest of the cooling system
Old 07-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
This thread has some info: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934978

No worries driving your car as-is for a while. The bad sensor won't impact any other systems.

I think I have a way to do the swap with out needing to drain any coolant from the system. My new sensor now in the mail and I hope to have it in next weekend. I plan to post the procedure and pics to the post above, if you are interested.
An update to the above - My "technique" for changing the sensor without removing the coolant failed miserably. I ended up just doing a "quick switch" and just lost a little bit of it to ground in the process.