Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

The panel under the GloveBox

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The panel under the GloveBox

The panel under the glove box has strange screws. It looks like you can grab it and pull it out but im not sure and i dont want to brake anything. I need to remove the panel because i have a bad water leak when it rains and ive been told its because of how my wiring was set up when they put in the aftermarket stereo. Something with a Grommet of some sort. So any advice is welcome.

Thanks in Advance!!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

yes you just pull those with a panel popper or a pair of pliers
Old 06-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The grommet is located behind the PCM. It can be accessed from under the hood at that point where you'll actually be able to see the grommet itself because it will be harder to find under the dash. It is the standard location to run a power cable through the firewall in a 4th gen F-body from the battery for aftermarket amps and other electronic devices.
Here's a picture with the PCM removed so you can see what and where it actually is. That being said it would be difficult for any significant amount of water to enter through there with the PCM and hood in the way.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the pic. this is what my passenger side looks like:

I found the leak and it was a small leak little by little but its been raining for days now this is where the leak is dripping:

Old 06-20-2008, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Does it leak only when it rains or when you're running the A/C, because mine was leaking like that from the A/C and I found out my drain hole was clogged.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Only when it rains
Old 06-21-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

was it the same spot that kee stated was used to power wire? I sure hope I dont get a leak on my new carpet
Old 06-21-2008, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by x2jesse1x
was it the same spot that kee stated was used to power wire? I sure hope I dont get a leak on my new carpet

Ive yet to remove the PCM to get in there to find out for sure. I gotta wait till a day off with no rain ( I wish i had a garage) ill post something as soon as i know.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

An easy way to fix that leak at the grommet is to use some of that black rtv sealant. Just put on a liberal ammount and it will seal it right up. If you ever need to put something else through that grommet you can just peal it right off and reaseal.

There is a strange fastener that I cant figure out how to remove on that panel though. Its on the back left and looks like its some sort of bolt or something. I always just pulled the pins out and let it hang down from that corner.

Quick Reply: The panel under the GloveBox