Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autometer Tach adapter 9117 hookup?

Old 06-20-2008, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Autometer Tach adapter 9117 hookup?

I have a 5" tach and I get no response hooking it up to my stand alone harness. After review it looks like I need an in line adapter that I now have. The directions seem to say that red goes to + black to - grey to the tach. The issue is there is a red/green that goes to the coil+ power. What wire would this go to. In another direction it says connect to the pink coil 12v wire.

Any info....
Old 06-20-2008, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Locate the ignition coil harness connector on each side of the engine. The most common wire color used for power to the coils is Pink. Follow the Pink power wire away from the coils & connector to where it is most comfortable to work with(Auto Meter suggests 2”-6” away), then cut this wire in half. Repeat this on the other side of the engine as well. Run the power-side Pinks (left & right) together and attach to the solid Red of the adapter. Next run the coil-side Pinks (left & right) together and hook to the Red/Green of the Adapter. Ground the Black wire of the adapter to a suitable chassis ground. The Gray wire of the adapter is your new tachometer signal output.

That is what I found on the web site. Seems wrong that you sever the coil pink wires and run them through the adapter to complete the circuit.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

For future searchers:

I installed a 4498 5" tach and there was no movement when running. The tach got it's signal from the 10 pin white wire as described but I still had no movement. Some claim that works. I then got the 9117 that sences the coil pickups and wired it in. Black to ground, grey to tach signal, cut both coil feed pink wires and wire the 2 inputs together with the red 9177 wire. And the 2 remaining pink wires with the red/green wire. So all the coil power feeds through the 9117 then into the coil harness. Set your tack to 8 cylinder. I do have some jumping at high rpm's and will hunt that down shortly. But up to 5k is smooth.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Autometer Tach adapter 9117 hookup?