General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Do you have a fuel gauge that pegs like mine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do you have a fuel gauge that pegs like mine?

Crazy thing started about 3 years ago and it still does it often. When starting up the car and the gauges peg, the fuel gauge needle will peg and actually fly past the upper limit way over to the right above the little trim rib and get stuck on top of that rib in a position that would indicate something like 175% full tank. It will shake itself loose later on another startup and read correctly. It seems to happen more when the tank is more full.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it does.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

On a full tank, mine rests on the peg.

The needles friction fit over top of metal posts. You might be able to press it down further on the post so it doesn't go past. If you take the gauge cluster out, you can remove the clear plastic shield, which will give you access to the needles. (You'll want to take the shield off in a clean location so you don't get a bunch of dust behind it and create another annoying situation.)
Old 06-22-2008, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

I've had this problem on several cars and trucks. Something they put in gas these days causes a buildup on the fuel level sensor and can causethis to happen. When mine starts acting up I go buy a bottle of Techron and dump it in the tank. It disolves the buildup and everything goes back to normal for several months. Give it a try.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:32 PM
12 Second Club

A few years ago, here in the Tampa Bay area, we got a bad load of gas that went out to a bunch of gas stations. I think the gas had a high sulfur content in it. But it fried a buttload of peoples' electronic fuel gage sensors. It corroded the silver contacts that are inside the tank and caused goofy gage readings.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

Originally Posted by txturbo
I've had this problem on several cars and trucks. Something they put in gas these days causes a buildup on the fuel level sensor and can causethis to happen. When mine starts acting up I go buy a bottle of Techron and dump it in the tank. It disolves the buildup and everything goes back to normal for several months. Give it a try.
They sell just TECHRON...EXXON/CHEVRON.???
Old 06-26-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
They sell just TECHRON...EXXON/CHEVRON.???
Yeah. you can get it at walmart.