General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery Cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery Cable

I was going to change my battery and the acid ate through the screw that goes into the battery (the positive side). I did a search and came up with the part number for the cable, but I wanted to know if its really necessary to change the whole cable. The top part of the positive cable has 2 or 3 wires going into it. Is there anyone who sells a new top part or would i have to just buy the whole thing.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

You can buy a repair terminal but I would reccommend against it. It leaves the end of the wires bare and open to corrosion. Get the proper cable from the dealer and do the job right the first time. I have seen so many people who don't have the time or money to do the job right the first time, but for some reason, they do the second time.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Teching In

I actually just bought the repair terminal from pep boys and put it on. How long do you think it will last before it gets corroded? I don't wanna leave it like that if its going to break.

Have you ever replaced the cable, if so how tough would you say it would be to do it myslef.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

As far as longevity, that depends on the environment your in. Replacing the cable is not that hard if you can get the car in the air. About an hour or two if you use hand tools and have never done it before. What you can do is to coat the terminal and wires with silicone sealant. Not perfect IMO, but way better than bare wires.