Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Question about carrier shims.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Question about carrier shims.

Has anybody experienced problems putting the old carrier shims back in after a ring and carrier bearing install?I just put 3.73s in the rear with all new bearings(wheel,carrier,pinion)Had one hell of a bad time with the old carrier bearing races.I have seated all the bearings on the carrier(torsen) flat.
The shims that came with the rebuild kit where not that helpfull because the thickness varied way too much.Should the old carrier shims have to be pounded in.I didn't change the carrier so should the old shims have trouble going in?
And the gears(motive in the orange box) are noisy on decel and accel. which means they are not set right because my backlash maybe off.We ended up with 6thousands because changing the shim to a thinner one ended 16thousands. Also my contact shows deep near the heal on coast and drive is low in the tooth but near the middle.
So If the shims need to be beat in and ,i mean beat in, could it be another problem?
Old 06-23-2008, 07:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm the only one?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Banned

The factory shims are iron and will break if beat too hard.
The contact pattern requires a change in the pinion shim, and thats going to throw the carrier shims off. Get a carrier shim kit from reider racing, they're top quality and have plently of adjustment.
It's not uncommon to have to tap them in a bit but beating them, I don't know.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thought about the adjustable shims.I should have bought them.But since I didn't change the carrier should the shim be hard to install.I have one iron shim to the drivers side and one iron shim and a very very thin shim on the passengers side.we started with a iron shim on both sides. I dont see why the shim should be that hard to install with the same carrier.I did a fluid change again after 100 miles just to see if I have metal in the oil, and It came out clean.So I am going to do it again in 200 miles to see what its doing.If it doesn't quite down I going to have to bite the bullet and have a pro look at it.I did like changing the gears tho,its a different car.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zombie1
.But since I didn't change the carrier should the shim be hard to install.I have one iron shim to the drivers side and one iron shim and a very very thin shim on the passengers side.we started with a iron shim on both sides. I dont see why the shim should be that hard to install with the same carrier.
It's because you used the same shims you took out and then added a thin shim in addition to that. Thats why it's so tight.

Quick Reply: Question about carrier shims.