Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Tested out the 9" rear today.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tested out the 9" rear today.

Just got through finishing up with the 9" installation & BMR torque arm, took it out for a drive, everything feels good, but i'm getting a slight vibration/whining from it, i'm still running the stock driveshaft for now, but i did test it out from a slight roll & let it rip from about 4500 RPMs, it just fried the tires, but nicely enough, NO wheel hop, its gone, so i guess those LCA Relocation brackets do work, the Torque arm is right there at the floor.

The 3rd. member is used, but supposidly rebuit , it does have a slight whining/moaning in it.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good deal man. Now go test it the track. 6k dump is FN awesome with traction.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah WITH traction lol, these Coopers were doing quit well with the 10 bolt & 2000 rpm roll outs, i love the fact that the wheel hop is gone, but even at 4500, it lit-em up big time. What i need now is to find someone thats good with these 9" 3rd. members, i may need to take it back out & have it looked at. I even went & tried to google up some ford sites & can't find any, that i can't believe, so if anyone knows of any, i would appreciate it.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:30 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

The vibration is most likely from the stock driveshaft. The PST driveshaft that I sell, shown here http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=541 will take care of the vibration. As far as gear whine goes, a little gear whine is common. I would imagine you got a good deal on that used 3rd member, I would just use it the way it is. Bob
Old 06-23-2008, 06:58 AM
11 Second Club

Like Bob said, going to the 9" with the PST shaft fixed all of my vibration problems I was having with the 10 bolt. I also bought my 3rd member used. It's as quiet as a church mouse until decel, it has a slight little whine on decel, but not loud enough to drown the radio out. It actually sounds like a jet engine on decel which is kinda cool lol.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll take it out again today, i'm thinking maybe the vibration is from the U joint/joints, because the rear one is at a different angle then before, plus its old. The whine is all the time, but does get loader on decel, the whine i can live with, its the vibration/moaning (even though its not too bad) i want to fix.

Also, i need to find out the best way to check pinion angle, i'm definitly getting a V from the rear yoke & driveshaft upward pitch.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:15 AM
11 Second Club

Go to a parts store or hardware store and pick up an angle finder. I used BMR's website to adjust my pinion. They explain it pretty easy. Mine is at -2 right now because of the DSL. I can't go any lower without hitting it. I wanted -3, but -2 is also fine for the M6's.