Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch wouldn't release

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 04:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Clutch wouldn't release

I put a Textralia OZ700 in a friend's car with a McLeod master cylinder. Everything was working perfect. Car drive great and shifted perfect. Then after about 5 passes at the drag strip the clutch wouldn't release. Clutch pedal felt normal and with the car off the transmission shifted fine. Start the car and try to put it in first gear and the car would want to start moving forward. Towed the car home and when we got home everything worked fine. I was so pissed, I like WTF. I thought that maybe a spring came off the clutch disk and got stuck between the pressure plate and clutch disk, so I pulled the transmission and took the clutch out and everything looks perfectly fine. I am at a lose at what could of happened. Could the slave cylinder possibly be bad? Could when things get hot could the slave cylinder just stop working? Any suggestions on what might of happened would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:39 AM
9 Second Club

I talked with another friend of mine and he thinks that it could possibly be the pressure plate. Could you have a problem with the pressure plate not releasing and then later on it would work fine, possibly after it cooled down?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the issue seems to be heat related it is much more likely that you all are having an issue with boiling the hydraulic fluid (if it were a plate problem it wouldn't be intermittent). This is not abnormal in F-body's as I am sure you know. Check the hydraulic fluid to begin. If it is dark or discolored then it needs to be replaced...I suggest using a fluid with a higher boiling point than stock. Make sure the hydraulic lines are wrapped with a heat resistent material and that they are routed behind the heat-shield as they pass the headers. Let me know what you find and we can continue trouble shooting from there. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2008, 10:33 AM
9 Second Club

I agree with you that it seems heat related but if the hydraulic fluid did boil then wouldn't the clutch pedal feel very smushy? When this happened the clutch pedal felt normal.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on the amount of aeration!