Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VATS bypass

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VATS bypass

Getting close to starting up the "new" motor and 6 speed setup, but VATS is still enabled on this ECM. Thinking about just building a bypass box. I see the how to's and have the schematics, but I don't see any that tell you what wires to plug in for the signal? Theres a ground, switched power, and output to the ECM - but where to the ECM? Red connector, Pin 30?

Thanks as usual...
Old 06-23-2008, 05:06 AM
Launching!

Here is where I connected mine....
Attached Thumbnails VATS bypass-vats_wiring.jpg  
Old 06-24-2008, 02:15 AM
TECH Regular

Hmm, well, just about to sit here and make this, but my 555 timer doesn't have the pins labeled? How am I supposed to know which one is Pin 1? I notice in your diagram you have a little "dot" on your timer - I have one on mine as well. Does that indicate Pin 1?
Old 06-24-2008, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your timer should have had the schematic on the package... Usually on the back. If you got it from radio shack, I know for a fact that its on the back of the package.

Here is the schematic for the timer...

Also, if you searched, you probably saw the following thread. Its got some tips and tricks in it.... In case you didnt find it, Ill link you to it. It has the diagrams for the box, schematics for the timer, as well as some notes for building it taht the write ups seem to leave out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...630&highlight=

Good luck!

J.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OldSchoolFormula
How am I supposed to know which one is Pin 1? I notice in your diagram you have a little "dot" on your timer - I have one on mine as well. Does that indicate Pin 1?
Yep, that's the conventional way to indicate pin 1 on a chip like that.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Is your car being run with full emisions? Why not just send the pcm out and have all the bs shut off and not worry about this? Just seems a bit easier to me....
Old 06-25-2008, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

My VATS was supposed to be turned off...using HPTuners. However, for some strange reason, it remained active when I went to run my car for the first time.

For me...it was either send the PCM out and wait...Order a pre-made bypass and wait....Or drive down to radioshack, spend 5 minutes building the circuit, and figure out the permanent fix later. haha. Im impatient like that...

J.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Teching In

This VATS bypass doesnt work for the truck ecm correct?? which computers does this work for??

THanks
Graham
Old 06-25-2008, 11:47 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The VATS bypass works on the f-body PCMs.

The truck, GTO, and vette use a serial data security system.....however you can change it to a VATS system using HPTuners if you wanted the extra security of taking a VATS bypass box with you.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G-Body
The VATS bypass works on the f-body PCMs.

The truck, GTO, and vette use a serial data security system.....however you can change it to a VATS system using HPTuners if you wanted the extra security of taking a VATS bypass box with you.
I got a VATS bypass module from LT1wiring.com for like $25.00 shipped to me. I wired it up with the ground side of it on a rocker switch. It works great! AND,

With the rocker switch? I can disable the PCM( its wire into my glove box), and lock the box, and any thief is going to have a hard time "hotwiring MY ride" when the box is locked!

I can leave the windows down and the keys in it LOL, most of them will STILL have at least an hour of "trying"! and if a "smart" one is able to figure it out? God bless!
Old 07-22-2008, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

might not want to post that kinda info in a public place though

sure its unlikely...but whatever...
Old 07-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Teching In

I agree about having it programed out. Did my ls1 in a 67 bird, had the comp redone, vat removed
Old 07-23-2008, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

a friend and I built the bypass for my car. I have it hidden in one of the fenderwells with a flipswitch attached. If i feel unsafe leaving the car someplace for a long period of time (like overnight in a parking lot or something) i just flip the switch and walk away feeling better.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Amen, besides that, if you ever fry your comp its pretty much a straight unplug and swap it deal! no need to send out for another tune,plus the $$$$.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:57 AM
TECH Regular

Interesting enough, today I went to show a buddy my cool bypass box, unplugged it, and the car started and ran normally? WTF?!

I KNOW VATS hasn't been disabled. I haven't tuned the PCM and the VATS did work when I first started it up.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OldSchoolFormula
Interesting enough, today I went to show a buddy my cool bypass box, unplugged it, and the car started and ran normally? WTF?!

I KNOW VATS hasn't been disabled. I haven't tuned the PCM and the VATS did work when I first started it up.
Woo hoo!!! Someone finally has the same thing going as me!!!

Quick background. When I picked up the donor car, the previous owner used HPTuners to turn off VATS. Thought I was good. First start up...no go. VATS was kicking in. So I built a bypass box, then switched to a smaller, pre-built unit from ebay.

I have it on a plug so I can just unplug it and stick it in my pocket. Its tiny. Anyway...one morning I hop in, fire the car up, take off...look over, and there is the bypass unit sitting in the dash pouch where I stash it.

Ever since I havent needed it. Im getting close to firing my second swap car up (using the same drivetrain as the first car) so Im going to try to fire it without the bypass to see what happens. But...if it does, Ill still be nervous and ILl still wire in the plug for the bypass just in case.

J.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Woo hoo!!! Someone finally has the same thing going as me!!!

Quick background. When I picked up the donor car, the previous owner used HPTuners to turn off VATS. Thought I was good. First start up...no go. VATS was kicking in. So I built a bypass box, then switched to a smaller, pre-built unit from ebay.

J.
Yea, to be honest I'm actually kind of bummed about it. What a cool little thing if it didn't work so well. I guess I wanted to bypass VATS, and it certainly did.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey OldSchool... Just a heads up/update.

My car has been apart for a couple months. Everything unplugged, disconnected, powerless, etc.

Got it to the point where I could start it not too long ago. What do ya know.. VATS is working again. WTF??? How does it randomly work, then stop working?

I guess I wire in the bypass module, and go back to running it for the time being. Until it stops needed it again.

J.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

Funny you say that. Mines been working again, too. Been pretty consistent for a week, I test it everytime I get in the car.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

I can cut out the vats for sure on any of those vehicles. The software used for yours sometimes dont point to the right point in code, or puts in a wrong value so vats wont be perminantly shut off. "Not sure if they fixed it yet, but by the sounds of it no."

EFILive shuts it off the right way.

Quick Reply: VATS bypass