Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowered Car: Shorter Front Sway Bar Linkages?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lowered Car: Shorter Front Sway Bar Linkages?

Hey all,
I just did the Koni/Strano suspension to my car, and I am curious as to whether or not I need to go with shorter aftermarket sway bar end links in the front. For those of you that are unfamiliar with this mod, it lowers the car approximately 1.2" front and rear. My friend says that if I use the stock size they will end up stressing things and possibly snapping (what happened to his T-bird). We measured distance from the sway bar end to the lower control arm and it is a little over 2", whereas the stockers are 3"+ in length. Can anybody give me some insight on this? Thanks.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie

I just used whatever came with the swaybars. The stock length is fine.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

Use a length that will set the bars parrallel to the frame this should also have the end links at a 90* angle to the bar ends. Any other angle reduces the effectivness of the bars. With a lowered car this means shorter links.

Vernon
Old 06-23-2008, 10:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello, you will need a different end link kit when you lower you car. Depending on how much you have lowered it will determine which kit you will need. Give me a call and i can get you the right kit.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-23-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
Use a length that will set the bars parrallel to the frame this should also have the end links at a 90* angle to the bar ends. Any other angle reduces the effectivness of the bars. With a lowered car this means shorter links.
This is correct. With the car sitting at ride height set the sway bar parralel to the ground/frame (level) and select a end link for the gap you have. Your probably going to end up with a spacer around 1 1/2" to 2" long.

Re'
Old 06-24-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you all for your help. I went to "the zone" yesterday to return all my borrowed tools, and picked up some Energy Suspension 1 5/8" end links for the front. They look as if they are the correct size for my application, and are at least 3/4" shorter than factory. The cool thing is that they have Urethane bushings in them. I guess that will help firm things up a bit!
Old 06-29-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Spacer kit for front sway bar

Thats what i did !!I bought a complete 2"spacer kit from turbo technologys for like $60!!! Bolts,Spacers and End links/ Pins.

Quick Reply: Lowered Car: Shorter Front Sway Bar Linkages?