Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

signal issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default signal issues

My right signal is giving me issues. For whatever reason it works fine while my headlights are off, maybe it blinks slow but it works. Now when i turn my parking lights or headlights on it stops working. My left side works fine also seems to blink a little slow but maybe its normal, just the right side has the issue. Now all bulbs are fine, and have been checked.

any ideas?
Old 06-24-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

sounds like a blinker switch to me..
Old 06-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Both sides blinking slowly suggests a bad flasher. You can get a replacement at any auto parts store for just a few dollars.

The right side working except when the lights are on suggests a bad ground on that side. What happens is the bulb grounds through the other filament to the parking light circuit when the lights are off but can't do so when there is power there (headlights on) so the signals stop working. The ground problem could be a break in the black wire or a corroded socket. Corroded sockets are common on the front of out cars - water gets into the housing and just sits in the socket.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Err what he said.. I meant flasher not blinker switch.. Arg
Old 06-24-2008, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Both sides blinking slowly suggests a bad flasher. You can get a replacement at any auto parts store for just a few dollars.

The right side working except when the lights are on suggests a bad ground on that side. What happens is the bulb grounds through the other filament to the parking light circuit when the lights are off but can't do so when there is power there (headlights on) so the signals stop working. The ground problem could be a break in the black wire or a corroded socket. Corroded sockets are common on the front of out cars - water gets into the housing and just sits in the socket.
ill trace the wire and check the ground, it just got a new socket. Old one ended up burnt a lil. I need new housings, sooner or later.

i have the new flasher but was thinking maybe i didnt need it sense they were both working again.

thanks, and ill look into these things.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

well just popped a new flasher in and for the most part everything is working, the right signal works now.

Only issue left is the right signal light stays on, or atleast the indicator inside the gauge cluster stays on. It blinks like it should now, im gonna follow some wires tomarrow and see if it isnt a grounding problem.

i have kind of a general fit socket right now, because the one i needed was a special order. Is there any reason why that could cause any of this? Maybe tomarrow i can make it by the f-body junk yard and get me some new housings and the actual socket.