Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Putting together my own abs delete. Need some guidance

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Putting together my own abs delete. Need some guidance

I have a line lock from jsm already and I just put prostars on my car and the 28" tall tire is messing with my abs. I like how some people put their proportioning valve beside the master cylinder where its kind of hidden. I plan on getting all my own line, bender, flaring tool, fittings, etc. and I was gonna run a line to the back of the car and T it to each wheel and the same thing for the front out of the line lock. What size of line do I need to get and the guys i've seen run it to the back and T it where did you get the long peice of brake line? Everything I need besides the proportioning valve should be available at autozone right? This is a 4 channel car if it makes a difference and I plan on getting rid of the tcs too. Thanks and if anyone has any advice let me know. The sjm kit is nice but out of my price range
Old 06-25-2008, 05:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with your setup. Sometimes it is nice to say you built something yourself instead of a preformed kit. I believe once you add everything up, you'll find it will save you much of anything. Especially the time involved. I'm not including the fact you may need a few extra pieces of line if you're not familar with bending tubes and you have to use a hand bender.

Our base kit which includes every fitting and every line needed WITH the proportioning valve is only 139.99.

The valve alone will cost you ~51.00 after shipping. Even just for that piece you'll need fittings and mounting bolts. Round to ~55.00. You'll need new lines, tube bender and quite a few fittings.

There's quite a few ways to design something many of the components we use on our kits are not available in stores. If you would like to attempt it still yourself, give me a call, I can supply you with seperate pieces if you wish.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used a freeproportioning valve off a non abs car, and reused the fittings off the old lines to make it fit, just cut and bent the lines, put the fittings on where they were needed and reflared them. i think i only had to buy one small piece of line from the parts store, as for running line all the way back, im not sure y you would need to if the stock line is in good shape, but locally they usually carey 4-5 foot sections of line, not sure where to get line long enough to go all the way without putting a union in the middle like i usually do when replacing old rusted out line. good luck, if i wasnt such a tight *** i would buy a kit from sjm myself. they are nice kits.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Personally I would ditch the stock style proportioning valve and go with an adjustable one. The stock ones are a compromise and in my opinion don't apply enough rear brake perssure. I disabled my stock valve and installed an adjustable one with the pressure only barely backed down. Rear brake pad life isn't the best, but it make a big difference in the braking performance.

If the kit Steve is selling includes a roll of line and not 5 foot sections, I'd get it. The less unions you have the less chances for leaks and other problems.

Good luck

Re'
Old 06-25-2008, 07:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our kits include pre-formed lines so bending is not necessary. I think the poster is looking to bend his own up though.

I do agree with you on the proportioning valve. If the valve isn't configured for the particular application, you may as well not be using one which is also a poor idea. As I typically say, your chances of it being correct would be about the likelyhood of being hit by lightening.

Each setup will be different...so settings will not be the same. Different pads, rotors, tires, different wheels, weight distribution...etc have an affect on how you need your brake bias.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

The SJM kit may be out of your price range, but you will spend the rest of the money you saved on Tylenol. Their kit saves sooooooo much hassle and headache.

Quick Reply: Putting together my own abs delete. Need some guidance