Sponsored by:

Lights/Wiring problems...ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 01:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights/Wiring problems...ideas?

Hey guys,

Got the car running and driving, but the lights and speedometer/tachometer are all kinds of screwed up.

The lights issue is wild - keep in mind it's the original wiring from the car...when I first fire it up, the left and right turn signals work fine, and the entire left side works PERFECT. However, after the first time turning on the right turn signal, after I turn it off, the ride turn signal LIGHT stays on in the interior, the right parking light won't work, and the passenger's side headlight is DIM. Now, I thought maybe a ground was bad on the right side, so I pulled the headlight and disconnected it on the dash, so it doesn't run current(when I went to the car tonight, the battery was dead). Now, the right tail light doesn't work, and neither does the brake light, but the left brake lights/turn signals still work perfect.

Also, the speedometer, a direct wire from the brand-new Speartech wiring harness, will rev up to about 20 MPH when I rev the motor, almost like it's connected to the tach. But the tach works (semi) fine...it just revs really slow? As in, it shows it idles at probably 300 rpms, and when I have it at, probably 3000 rpm, it only shows ~1500...it seems about half-off. The gauges are brand-new Stewart Warner power series gauges...

I'm perplexed...

Car is a 1969 Camaro with a 98 Camaro Z28 motor and T-56
Old 06-26-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

You need to set your tach for 4 cylinder instead of 8.

No idea on the speedo.

Lights issue sounds like multiple bad grounds. See the electrical forum on camaros.net for help troubleshooting.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:41 AM
TECH Regular

I had the same problem with the speedo. Took me months and months and months to figure it out. Go down to radioshack and buy a big pack of different resistors. I'm not sure what resistor I used, as it was the first one I grabbed... LoL. Place it inline. Should solve the 20MPH issue.

Good luck with the cars lighting problems as well.

Joys of electrical.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Recheck your grounds, you need:
-body to front subframe
-engine to subframe
-there are grounds at the core support on both sides for the forward lighting
-there is a couple of grounds under the dash, one on the left side and I think one above the steering column.