Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Shift boot

TTT
Old 08-19-2003, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know of an auto. shift boot for a 2001 trans am
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can take the console from an M6 and use that. Might be more than you want to do though.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use a boot from an late 80's early 90's auto vette. I asked this question a few weeks ago. I looked into it and you will have to do some modding to get it to fit right.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:38 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

Is this what you are looking for:
http://users.rcn.com/my57chevy/shiftboot.jpg

I did it last summer. Its a replacement leather shift boot I found at Pep Boys for $30. Any replacement leather shift boot should work. It will need to be trimmed.

This is from memory, but its not hard to do and you should figure out what I mean.
First remove the shifter handle and upper console. This is done by a small staple in the front of the gear **** and two screws in the center glovebox, under the coin tray. After the staple is removed, pull up on the handle. After the screws are removed, tilt up the upper console up. Be careful since there are wires attached to the console (for switches, lights, etc.). Attached to the underside of the upper console is the sliding mechanism that indicates what gear you are in. Unscrew it from the console. Remove the sliding black pieces from it. Push the shift boot throught the opening in the console from underneath. Fold the bottom inch of the shift boot flat against the underside of the console. Use some tape to temporarily hold it in place (duct, athletic, masking, whatever). This is when you should trim the shift boot. You dont want it to be too long and you want it centered and vertical. This part is trial and error. When you have it like you wnat it sandwich it in place with the sliding mechanism and rescrew it together. Do not tighten the screws too much. That would make the mechanism rigid and difficult to use, which could cause damage. Put the console back on, make sure the shifter stick passes through the loop in the middle of the sliding mechanism. If you forget, the mechanism will not work properly and the shifter will not reach the first and/or last position. Now reattach the shifter handle, replace the staple and retighten the console's screws.

--VIP1
(Hi guys, long time no type)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shift boot