Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sealing air lid AND SS ram air hood

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sealing air lid AND SS ram air hood

I had an idea; i kno you can use weather stripping from Home Depot to seal the air lid if you're using a K&N filter; can you also attach some to the outlet on the hood and to the inlet of the air box to try and "seal" the box between the hood?

I kno it WON'T be air tight; i'm just trying to minimize the hot air entering the air lid and trying to maximize the effieciency of the SS hood.

1 question tho; what size weather stripping are you using for the lid?
Old 06-26-2008, 09:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't waste your time. I read something about the "effecincy" of the SS hoods. Unless you're on a road trip for more than 20 minutes or so, it does no good. This is because the air has to wrap around the hood back to the front. The hood is hot from the engine, and in-turn heats up the air while it goes through the hood. So sealed or not, you're gonna get hot air.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hmmmm; i have a manual fan switch and a 160* stat, so my car runs "cooler". My main concern is sealing the air lid itself b/c i found some dead bugs in the screen of my MAF when i cleaned my filter which is why i haven't ported it yet. I figured while i'm at it i could try to get some sort of a "seal" between the lid and the hood. I reamember seeing a small piece of foam that came from the factory that went between the hood and the lid, the other end fell off. That is what got me thinking.

Last edited by Nightrydass; 06-26-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Do a search and some reading on the SS hood. Not worth it IMO. The bugs in your MAF sensor happen... K&N or not... just a fact of life. FRA or FTRA is a much better way to go for real cold air induction.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmdale1984
Do a search and some reading on the SS hood. Not worth it IMO. The bugs in your MAF sensor happen... K&N or not... just a fact of life. FRA or FTRA is a much better way to go for real cold air induction.
+1. Many want the functionality as I did but it is a poor design. Just seal off the air box and install the FTRA or something similar.

Follow the link below and go to tech articles then Super Sport Hoods.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm