Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping VVT from a 07 escalade

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping VVT from a 07 escalade

Well it looks like a finally found a good engine. Its a 20k mile 07 escalade L92. I read that these have VVT and I hear lots of promising stuff for this technology in a few years. So I'd like to keep it and for now keep the whole motor stock (going in a 69 camaro). I'm getting the harness too so if I find an Escalade ECU can't I just have someone like Wait4Me or Speartech modify that harness and ECU to work in my car? I don't want to go the Mast Motorsports route because its just too expensive for what it is and for my application. What do you all think? It would be great if one of the sponsor chimed in with a phone number too.
Thanks!
Old 06-26-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your need the newer E38 PCM or similar to run the VVT
Old 06-26-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

As long as you keep the pcm harness tac module and pedal asm out of the donor and leave the program as it came out of the escalade you will be fine. You will also have to leave the oil pan as it came from the cadillac bc there are some oil control solenoids that deal with the VVT to the best of my knowledge that are located in or near the oilpan. Everything else I know for sure prior to the oilpan. The oilpan I am reasonably sure about but not entirely positive. I have not had time to really dig in alldata about it yet at work, that's
Old 06-26-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is the 1st I've read about the oil pan. Any link to more info on this?

I know Andrew w the 70 GTO put an L92 in his Goat, but he ditched the VVT. I thought he just changed the cam and front timing cover. I was intending to keep the VVT as well, hoping it will have more aftermarket support in the future. Speartech can set you up ECU and harness wise.

On the other hand.... Andrew is making around 500 hp (419 at wheels w/out tune) with just an L76 intake, headers, and GMPP LS7 cam and harness. Kinda hard to pass up that power on such a reasonable budget.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/879985-1970-gto-version-2-0-a.html
Old 06-26-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
As long as you keep the pcm harness tac module and pedal asm out of the donor and leave the program as it came out of the escalade you will be fine. You will also have to leave the oil pan as it came from the cadillac bc there are some oil control solenoids that deal with the VVT to the best of my knowledge that are located in or near the oilpan. Everything else I know for sure prior to the oilpan. The oilpan I am reasonably sure about but not entirely positive. I have not had time to really dig in alldata about it yet at work, that's
The truck oil pan doesn't have any solenoids inside of it (perhaps you were referring to DoD?), I can snap a couple of pictures if it'll help. (Just replaced the rod bolts in my L92 as "cheap insurance".) AFAIK, you should be able to use the F-body pan if that's what works best for you.

Also - GM did away with the TAC module by 2008, & I'm 99.8% sure that it's not needed for the '07 either. All of that is handled from the ECM now, just like the cruise control.

(It's best of course to verify this with a friendly dealership, but this is what I've been told, & it matches what I've seen when tearing it down/confirming with another source...)

I hope this helps.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

So what do I use for a pedal? No TAC module is great!
Old 06-28-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Damm it's time for me to swap a newer 6.2 into something. I need to go down to the shop and dig through our alldata and straight up read. It sounds like a whole new game plan on this setup compared to the previous 6.0's with ETC.

This is the thread I ran across where they were discussing this very issue if you have to get into an oil pan swap this is for an 05 5.3 w dod I just assumed it would be very much the same being on a 6.2.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/915598-dod-oil-pan-swap.html

Last edited by 01WS6/tamu; 06-28-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by merriman44
2007 Monte Carlo SS

The VVT has nothing to do with the oil pan. It is all in and under the front cover. Unless you want to make some custom spacers for the accessory drive you are stuck with using truck accessories if you keep the VVT. I personally prefer the Corvette accessories so I basically turned my L92 into an LS3 with an LS7 cam.

Andrew
Old 06-29-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by merriman44
I got an accelerator pedal from an '07 Vette (I'd bet that it's probably the same as the MC pedal that Andrew mentioned).

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
2007 Monte Carlo SS

The VVT has nothing to do with the oil pan. It is all in and under the front cover. Unless you want to make some custom spacers for the accessory drive you are stuck with using truck accessories if you keep the VVT. I personally prefer the Corvette accessories so I basically turned my L92 into an LS3 with an LS7 cam.
Ahhh bloody hell, DON'T tell me that... I've already bought the F-body accessories! This project is killing me with unforeseen crap...
Old 06-29-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

You can use the f-body accessories with the truck balancer and VVT if you space everything foreward. Mast did ghos on their F-body project.

Andrew
Old 06-29-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was about to post that Kevin on V8TV spaced out the accessories also, but when I went looking to get you a link... they have run into problems...
http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/591/1/
Stay tuned, I guess...
Old 06-29-2008, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Good info. I'll keep the truck Accessories as looks are taking second to functionality for me at this time. In a few years the cosmetics on this car will catch up I'm sure.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, and if you haven't already spoken w Speartech, they can set you up to keep the VVT.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:53 AM
FormerVendor

We do have the spacers to make VVT setups work with the F-Body accessory drive.

As far as our EFI systems, I think Pace Performance is making some pretty good deals on our VVT stuff right now.

Quick Reply: Keeping VVT from a 07 escalade