General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

5 Alternators Within 2 Months???

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 Alternators Within 2 Months???

ok alternator was new like last year.
last weekend the battary gauge would go high than drop thana nhigh drop until it ran off the battary. put in a new one, drove fine until i ripped it and it died again, 2 more alternators after that and i pt one in yesterday got a new plug from gm everything was bulletproof, this morning i redlined it and rigiht after that running off theh battary again.

wtf is it i cant keep changeng them every other day?? hwo do you check for shorts, or is there a regulator or extreme duty alternator i can put??
Old 06-26-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain bro, I went through 4 alternators and believe me its not fun when you have to take off a procharger. What I finally got was a heavy duty AC delco alternator, which I believe was a 180 amp. I think those came with the old police package camaros or at least that's what the guy told me the fourth time I went. haha He said they needed those alternators because of the over heads and all the **** cop cars come with. Its been holding up for about a year now..
Old 06-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Launching!

here is my to do list

the red wire on teh altternator witht the plug is directly soldered to the alternator, plus autozone alt weich lasted about 11 hours nutil i bounced it off the limiter.

so im going tot pick up a new plug tomarrow from the dealer and where should i by tthe new alternator from gm? or i can get my duralast bullshit rebuilt by my alternator and starter guy?

do you thtink that plug is that tsensative to ocrap out all my alternators?
Old 06-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Check your battery, sounds lik it is failing to build up internal resistance and keeping the alternator at a high output. With the car running and all loads off, put a clamp on style DC amp meter around all ground wires as close to the battery as possable. After 10 to 20 minutes, amp meter should read less than 10 amps. Any more than 20 and the battery is bad. I've found several bad batterys this way.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, alternator has insufficient resistance and that's what's smoking them. Check your negative battery cable also.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Launching!

teth battary is brand new exide extreme duty.

that battary hold theh car for atleast an hour after the alternator dies