Sponsored by: DashLynx

3M Scratch & Swirl Remover

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3M Scratch & Swirl Remover

Hey Guys, I need some quick help.
I found a spot here in town that has 3M products, and I heard that 3M makes a really good scratch and swirl remover (and I own a Black Formula). Every time I go in there they push me towards the Meguires stuff that I have already tried, and even though its ok, I hear the 3M is better. I need your help if anyone can give me the stock # of this Scratch and Swirl Remover so I can run in there and run out. Also, they keep telling me that the 3m is only good if I use a buffer...is this true? Or can I do it by hand and still get good results? Thanks.
Ed
Old 08-18-2003, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: 3M Scratch & Swirl Remover

You want the 3M swirl remover for dark cars. The one for light cars will work just fine as well, but you'll have more wipe off dust to deal with.

It is by far better then anything i've ever used before. And yes, you an apply it by hand.

Part # 39009
Old 08-18-2003, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Hey JonSS, thanks a lot, but I couldn't get your picture, could you or anyone else please put that back up...thank goodness you have that stock #...I almost bought 56099 or somehting like that today. Also, about how much did it cost you and how many coats do you put on a year, month week, whatever.
Thanks
Ed
Old 08-19-2003, 09:06 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

39009 is the 3M Swirl Mark Remover. I use both products (Meguiars and 3M) and the 3M is stronger but the Meguiars product is a little easier to work with (no hazing even when used incorrectly).

3M also makes a Finesse It-II product which is stronger than the Swirl Mark Remover, then they make a compound called Fine Cut rubbing compound which is stronger than the Finesse It-II.

I'm a big 3M fan but not bias towards the Meguairs product line, they are both very nice tools in my arsenal.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Hey JonSS, thanks a lot, but I couldn't get your picture, could you or anyone else please put that back up...thank goodness you have that stock #...I almost bought 56099 or somehting like that today. Also, about how much did it cost you and how many coats do you put on a year, month week, whatever.
Thanks
Ed
Hey no problem. I would only suggest using it maybe 2-3 times a year, max. Only one coat each time. It will do wonders. I didn't find it hard at all to apply by hand. Give it a shot. Read the directions on the back, and you'll see. Awesome product.
I've used the meguire's product too, "Scratch X". I found it pretty good, but not as effective as the 3M.

Good luck, and post pics when you're done!

Oh, and it cost me something like 10 bucks for the bottle, I think. Definitely worth the cost though. I can't get the pic of the bottle to show up, but it's a charcoal color bottle, with a yellow tag. If you have the part #, you should be fine.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:44 PM
Launching!

3M Swirl remover (for dark cars - in this case black), followed up by a coat of McGuiars Gold Glass . Easy too! So easy in fact, I polished and my wife waxed which led to a impromptu photo shoot of herself .

Works pretty good...
Old 08-20-2003, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

lol, I can see....although that looks like some wet-sanding had something to do with that.
Thanks All.
Ed
Old 08-20-2003, 05:19 PM
Launching!

lol, I can see....although that looks like some wet-sanding had something to do with that.
Thanks All.
Ed
No sanding...HONEST! Factory paint and a woman's touch :p .
Old 08-21-2003, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

3m..........

nah, I'll take menzerna..

hehe. 3m is good I just had better luck with the menzerna stuff. More money, but I think its worth it.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:43 AM
Humanitarian

More money for the same results... I'll take 3M, it's a trusted product, they have so many different level's of abrasivness and it is very easy to get show quality pictures.

Your showing them a picture of a hood with a shine agent on it, thats not the raw polished surface.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Joe, now I know you and you know me here - i know you know what you're talking about, but I dont think its safe to say that the 3M is a better product than the Menzerna stuff. A good many manufacturers are using menzerna (albeit alot use 3m as well), and when used right it produces amazing results.

I haven't seen any pictures of a raw polished 3m surface either, so I think my picture is a fair comparison. I do have pictures of the raw polished surface under a flourescent light, and as soon as I can get them online, I will post them and put any doubts to rest.

-Tom
Old 08-21-2003, 01:26 PM
Humanitarian

I'm sure 3M is used more than Menzerna.

Anyhow, it couldn't really matter anyhow, I just enjoy busting your chops. Your such a good sport about it..... hehe
Old 08-21-2003, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyhow, it couldn't really matter anyhow, I just enjoy busting your chops. Your such a good sport about it..... hehe

You little camaro driving bastard.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:35 PM
Humanitarian

WOO HOO, now we've got the real Tom!
Old 08-21-2003, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

You little camaro driving bastard.
lol

Quick Reply: 3M Scratch & Swirl Remover