Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Is this Vette worth the price??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this Vette worth the price??

I'm currently looking for a Vette vert M6 and was courious what you all thought of THIS Vette I found on Ebay. KBB retail is about what they are asking which is a bit high compared to other deals I've seen. Main thing I like about the car is it has new tires and under 20k on it.

Wat do you all think.

Re'
Old 06-26-2008, 09:10 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
I'm currently looking for a Vette vert M6 and was courious what you all thought of THIS Vette I found on Ebay. KBB retail is about what they are asking which is a bit high compared to other deals I've seen. Main thing I like about the car is it has new tires and under 20k on it.

Wat do you all think.

Re'
It looks great but sounds high to me. I just bought an 06 C6 A6 Z51Coupe with brand new BFG tires and brakes for $30,500. Im sure you could find a cheaper one but its up to you.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...156&highlight=
Old 06-26-2008, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Its high for the color/ no heads up display but looks real clean.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:53 AM
TECH Regular

or u could buy mine....im getting ready to trade my iforged aeros for some new ccw 505a 19'' w new perelli pzero tires....22000 for everything...i have it for sale in the vehicle for sale thread
Old 06-27-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a sweet white vette.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Banned

I think it's a great price.

The car has only 19k miles.
New that car wold be in the low 50's.

The only way it's going to go into the lower 20's is if it had miles or issues.
The is very close to bottom of depreciation. I've seen '98 model years cost more than some 01's due to condition.

You get what you pay for, and a 19k mile car is worth mid 20's in my opinion.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL

Wat do you all think.

Re'
Don't offer them anything over $23k. I guarantee you they don't have anything more in that car than $19 or $20K. I would call them up on the phone (don't come into the dealership) and offer them $21500 right off the bat. Don't come into the stealership until they agree on a price, b/c they will wear you out and not let you leave.

They will screw you on your trade anyways so you need to hit them hard and hit them low. They will make $3k on you on this deal and probably 1 or 2K on your trade guaranteed so don't feel sorry for them, they're crooks I've worked in dealerships and in the auto industry for vendors since 2002. I also design vehicle valuation software (used in 2000+ 'ships) so I know a thing or two about book values (especially KBB).

Do a lookup on kbb.com for the Trade-In price on that car, add $1500 for tires, brakes/oil, and makeready and that's what they own it for. Anything over that is profit for the used car dept and the salesperson. $1500 over their cost (cost of sale) is a fair deal IMHO.

So for this car $21500 means they're still making good money on you. They probably won't sell it for under $22K, but you gotta hit'em hard!!

'littles
Old 06-28-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sic2001
Its high for the color/ no heads up display but looks real clean.
It does have HUDLook at the switches left of the steering wheel on the guage cluster. i do agree that the color is common and it has the plain jane wheels
Old 06-28-2008, 12:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigLittles
Don't offer them anything over $23k.

They will make $3k on you on this deal and probably 1 or 2K on your trade guaranteed so don't feel sorry for them, they're crooks I've worked in dealerships and in the auto industry for vendors since 2002. I also design vehicle valuation software (used in 2000+ 'ships) so I know a thing or two about book values (especially KBB).
So making an honest profit is bad in America?

Buying from a dealer usually means you get a car that's been inspected and the loose ends tied up.... instead of Mr. Autotrader who has it for sale out of his driveway.... and knows nothing, and leaves on average $1300 worth of loose ends... (Dim dual climate control display,seat track rocking,harmonic balancer wobble,window regulators,ebcm issues,headlight gears,oil pressure sending unit,windows out of adjustment against the convertible tops,leaking diff seals, etc)

Thank goodness there are places that will buy a car, fix most if not all issues, offer a warranty, sell you extended bumper to bumper ones, help you finance it, and be there with a full service/parts department when you need it in the future.

When you earn your salary or pay... are you a crook for accepting it from your employer for the service you provide?

And by the way.... KBB is a pile of dog crap on any value, they especially hate Corvettes for some reason.... if you want to know the real value of your car use. www.nada.com

With out listing any options, just the miles it says it's worth a low of $24,250, average of $26,675- and a high retail of $28,175 link: http://www.nadaguides.com/usedcars.a...&z=30340&da=-1

So them asking $26.5 seems like they are a fair place asking average price for the miles on a 2000 'vert. Like I said before, I think it's a fair price, if you get it lower.... good.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:17 AM
12 Second Club

It looks like a good car, but damn is it ugly with the top up. I would look for a targa top model if I were you.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
So making an honest profit is bad in America?

Buying from a dealer usually means you get a car that's been inspected and the loose ends tied up.... instead of Mr. Autotrader who has it for sale out of his driveway.... and knows nothing, and leaves on average $1300 worth of loose ends... (Dim dual climate control display,seat track rocking,harmonic balancer wobble,window regulators,ebcm issues,headlight gears,oil pressure sending unit,windows out of adjustment against the convertible tops,leaking diff seals, etc)
Most dealerships I've encountered will simply clean up the car, do the brakes, change the tires, and check for obvious things like cracked hoses, change the oil, maybe they'll throw some grease on the seat track. Unless they're a corvette dealer (and this dealer Perinne, or whatever it was called, looked like your run of the mill car dealer) you won't get much more than that in terms of service/makeready.

I bought my last vette from a very reputable dealer (a lexus dealership with lexus elite customer service--by the way, the company I work for owns the #1 lexus dealership in the nation, on both sales and service). They appraised the car for $20,000 ($3k back of book), put about $600 into it (I saw the recon order, it was simply brakes and general service) and tried to sell it to me for $28k OK maybe you're right, $7000 is a fair profit.

I ended up buying it for $25.5K (my last vette) knowing full well they were making over 3k in profit on me, and in fact I bought a warranty, which I'll get to in a second.

Thank goodness there are places that will buy a car, fix most if not all issues, offer a warranty, sell you extended bumper to bumper ones, help you finance it, and be there with a full service/parts department when you need it in the future.
My company sells those warranty contracts, and there's a lot of profit built into them. In fact a dealership's fixed operations dept (parts/service) is very profitable. Those warranties you can take anywhere, and the dealer doesn't back them (they're backed by companies like mine). They make a lot of profit on them too (they tried to sell me a 3 year for $2700, and I talked them down to $2000, and I know they made at least $600 in profit on it). I used it once b/c the car wouldn't pass inspection (AIR valve went bad on me) and it conveniently wasn't covered by the warranty. In fact they broke my oil sending unit while they were fixing it. Thank goodness I brought it back and had them fix it.

When you earn your salary or pay... are you a crook for accepting it from your employer for the service you provide?
You sound like a very honest and god-fearing person. I'm sure not every person who works at a dealership is a crook. I worked @ a dealer group for over 2 years before going into the vendor business, and I didn't consider myself a crook. In fact while the GM was asking me to reprogram his satellite card and clear out the charges on PPV and while my boss was bragging about how he got another "pounder" (5000+ in gross profit) on old grandma, I was happily coding away in the back.

Making 5-6000 in profit on your average customer is unethical. I've seen higher. In fact we used to have max gross profit rules in our product that wouldn't allow vehicles in with that much profit (because surely that must be a typo/anamoly), but in fact they did make 10K+ on people. I'm not going to argue the old "We're here to make money" defense. You need to be smart and informed when you go into that dealership so they don't take advantage of you. If you want a fair and honest view of what goes on in there, you need to read confessions of a used car salesman (www.edmunds.com). One trick I found amusing that I ran into quite a bit was the guy asking you for a payment (you'll say "$250") and he'll say "Up to"). You'll immediately say $300 (b/c you were holding back, right? ) and he'll just write down $300 on the four square.

$1500 over COS is a fair profit, and in fact is about what I allowed them to make on me on my last vehicle I bought (the z). And guess what they offered me $2K under book for my last car (big surprise). I guarantee you they'll sell it for $3K over what I paid for it, maybe more. So all and all they made $4500 on me--and that's with me knowing their COS, knowing the book values, and negotiating hard. The fact of the matter is times are tough and dealerships sales personnel are trained very hard to get the most profit possible (not to give you the best deal). Be informed when you walk in there.

And by the way.... KBB is a pile of dog crap on any value, they especially hate Corvettes for some reason.... if you want to know the real value of your car use. www.nada.com

With out listing any options, just the miles it says it's worth a low of $24,250, average of $26,675- and a high retail of $28,175 link: http://www.nadaguides.com/usedcars.a...&z=30340&da=-1
I agree NADA is a very good book. Our dealers tend to bookout the car in blackbook (appraise it off of blackbook, which is closer to wholesale) and lend it out in NADA (send a bookoutsheet to the bank). Most banks will give you up to NADA LOAN.

If you want a good deal offer them NADA Loan. Most dealers will sell it to you for that price because that's as much as the bank will lend. BTW don't use the dealer for financing (they buy the interest rates from banks for a buy rate and add % points on top of that for profit--a fair one right?). Bring your own lender in. That way you can shop by price and not have them play those 4square games with you.

The NADA LOAN for this car I believe is $21.7K. You want to offer him around that, b/c you probably won't get much more from the bank than that. Anything over that price is typically out of pocket (down payment).

So them asking $26.5 seems like they are a fair place asking average price for the miles on a 2000 'vert. Like I said before, I think it's a fair price, if you get it lower.... good.
[/quote]

I got my 03 Z06 for $25.5K from the dealer. I offered him NADA loan btw, and he jumped all over it. I guess the base c5 verts go for more than the z06's? Must be rare..

BTW I don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything Josh, you seem like a cool person. I just don't want re & cheryl to get ripped off. It looks like that dude served his country, and I wouldn't sleep well at night knowing he could have saved a year's worth of payments. But maybe this is a good reputable dealer and they really have that much into the car and $26K is a fair price? I really don't think so though.

'littles
Old 06-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Banned

Talking

^ Everything you said is true... of typical dealers.

Skimming points off the interest from the bank, etc, etc... I could NEVER work for a place like that.

Helping him/any person save $2 grand on his purchase (the intent of your initial post... and better explained in your second) is great.... but not at the sake of simply saying every dealer is a crook.

I am a GOD fearing man, I go to church every Sunday....and I also work for probably the most ethical (Corvette only) dealership in America. We have cars priced upwards of $250,000 , Here's a link to the test drive video, after 6 minutes, 15 seconds there's a nice 3 minute "drive" ) http://videos.streetfire.net/video/A...-of_135072.htm

We just sold a very rare '67 for close to $200 grand.... yes, $200 grand. (I'm in that video too, the car had 40 miles on it, I put on another 9. )

We don't skim points on interest from banks, or make money on transport, or if somebody has a trade, whatever the wholesaler gives...we give. We only work hard to buy Corvettes 1st gen through 6th gen and refurbish if needed, finance if needed, ship world wide if needed (5 cars went international last month, several this month) and mark it up a fair amount. We work HARD for our pay.

Fair is fair. Playing the "being a hard a$$ customer" game only gets me turned off.... and I wont care to show what I payed for the car... I wont be in your corner to discount it (I don't need a 4-square, we write our own deals) and.... the list can go on.

I help get the best 'Vette for the money, and if a guy pays 26k... and is happy.... and another pays 25k for the same car and is still upset he didn't get it for 24.... does any of it make sense when you average it all out?

To the original poster... if you want a Corvette IDENTICAL to the one you posted about..... pm me for my phone number, I'll tell you down to the last PENNY what's going on.... and I can make a video for you to see, finance at cost, and ship it to your door at cost....

How's that? ~Joshua

Last edited by ~JOSHUA; 06-28-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the responses. I realize there are Vettes for less. But you see very few with 19k on them. I haven't fully made up my mind. Still just looking around.

To the original poster... if you want a Corvette IDENTICAL to the one you posted about..... pm me for my phone number, I'll tell you down to the last PENNY what's going on.... and I can make a video for you to see, finance at cost, and ship it to your door at cost....
Sent you a PM

or u could buy mine....im getting ready to trade my iforged aeros for some new ccw 505a 19'' w new perelli pzero tires....22000 for everything...i have it for sale in the vehicle for sale thread
NOt to be a jerk, but if you read my post you know I want a convertible.

Last edited by RE AND CHERYL; 06-28-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If i was gonna buy from ANY dealer it'd be JOSHUA's dealership(when it comes to Vettes) I've been by the place down in Atlanta last spring and seen how Joshua is with guys looking for deals here on LS1tech. He seems to tell you the lowest he can go on the price outright and works with ya from there to get financing and stuff. He's offered help to many guys about buying Vette's. i'd trust what he has to say here
Old 06-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Hey cool I'll look you up then next time I'm in need of a Vette, Joshua. I don't blame most dealers for being the way they are though, as a lot of people bring junky cars into dealerships with problems and they need to protect themselves to ensure they make a profit. Dealerships like yours Joshua are worth their weight in gold, but hard to find (and hard to keep that way, b/c so much of that depends upon management which have high turn over at dealerships).

Just keep your eye out for deals Re & Cheryl. Try and find an honest dealer like Joshua--I think it would be worth it to pay more knowing the person you're dealing with is honest. I never have that guarantee on any vehicles I buy.

There are deals out there! I got my 03 Z06 for mid 20's, and it only had 19000 miles on it. You just have to be patient and willing to look & negotiate! As Joshua suggests be nice, be patient (I was in the dealership for over 3 hours when I negotiated for my car), and be willing to come back if you have to (a lot of times they'll change their mind and call you with the deal you want). End of month is the best time to buy!! Check out Joshua's offer before you do anything else.

Cheers,
'littles