Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Posting from side of the road... what did I break this time!? lol

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Posting from side of the road... what did I break this time!? lol

So I'm leaving work and getting on the highway and redline shift into second then third, felt fantastic. Then I go to hit the cltch and ease up some, but theres no response. Its like the master isn't attatched, pedal springs up and is extremely easy to push. Not a pedal stuck to the floor, quite the opposite its flopping around like a guy that saw a fat stripper. I looked and the shaft is moving in the master but the resevoir only has a tiny bit of fluid at the bottom. I just replaced my slave 2 weeks ago and don't see any fluid upon first look in the typical hole it would leak from if that went. I'm guessing I lost the master or the line. Got friends coming with brake fluid gonna try to get it home by starting in gear and pissing everyone off as I do aroud 50 in the right lane. Just wondering what I may have broke this time. Seemed to be a lil smoke out of the front when I came to a stop but ended very quickly may have been dust on the shoulder?
Old 06-27-2008, 02:06 AM
TECH Resident

turns out its pouring out of the bottom of the bellhousing. My buddy said slaves cracl sometimes? Im wondering if I have a problem with the line though. whtever it is theres a huge opening in something that's allowing the pedal to just flop freely. Good chance I am giving up on this 6 speed and slapping my TH 400 and converter I have waiting to go in. Sick of all the hydraulic problems in the last couple weeks between my car and my buddies.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/256791-2nd-blown-slave-2-days.html#post2261054

See post 6 for pictures of what happened. Your bellhousing is probably messed up, which causes your slave to not sit centered on the clutch, which puts a side load on the slave and cracks it.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

I dont think thats what went out but maybe. The old one just died of old age and started leaking slowly till it eventually just gave up all together. My new one was driving like a brand new car, felt fantastic, engaged exactly where I liked it, was very smooth and precise. Whatever it is though, its definitely a catastrophic failure as I have NO feel in the pedal. There is a very good chance my th400 is going in this weekend. This hydraulic junk is for the birds....
Old 06-27-2008, 01:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The cracked slave is common as the metal they are made out of is not very durable, pot metal grade Al. I most often happens when the slave and tranny are installed and bolted to the bellhousing without connecting the slave first. Ram has a new slave that is made of billet AL, that replaces the cheap stock unit
Old 06-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Banned

^^^ without connecting the slave first??? confused
Old 06-27-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He means not connecting the hydraulic line to the slave first so it won't compress. That would only be an issue with a slave that already has fluid in it, not a new one.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Banned

i always heard its a good idea to leave the bleeder loose when u connect the tranny to the motor
Old 08-13-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Well I figured I would update this, seems the seal actually came out of the slave! I'm guessing something was put together wrong at the factory. I went ahead and boughtall the parts for my TH400 conversion so I will exchange my slave under waranty and see if anyone needs a new one I guess.

Quick Reply: Posting from side of the road... what did I break this time!? lol