Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

New GI Bill....

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New GI Bill....

http://education.military.com/money-...ill-overview#3

I dont know if this was already posted but its ******* bad ***!!!! "He's" going to do something good before leaving!!
Old 06-28-2008, 06:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds pretty badass for the new comers, they dont have to pay their $1200 plus they are getting their living arrangements, books, and full tuition paid for. I however paid the $1200 plus the other $600 kicker(to get more money) already, oh well! For me the current Bill would be better because i would actually pocket some of the money as i dont plan on attending a large college and i have partial scholarships anyways.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WheelsUp84z
sounds pretty badass for the new comers, they dont have to pay their $1200 plus they are getting their living arrangements, books, and full tuition paid for. I however paid the $1200 plus the other $600 kicker(to get more money) already, oh well! For me the current Bill would be better because i would actually pocket some of the money as i dont plan on attending a large college and i have partial scholarships anyways.
From what I read in the AFTimes, they are paying the $1200 + any additional you paid for back to you because its going to be offered to ALL people including those who didn't sign up for the GI Bill in BMT when they came in. Could be wrong though, but thats what it said.

My ONLY problem with this...what motivation do any of the good intelligent minded enlisted people have no outside of staying in for 10 years to pass it on to dependants if they choose, have to stay in? You basically just got a free 4-year degree from any major university no expense paid.

Just sayin...
Old 07-01-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigT2002
From what I read in the AFTimes, they are paying the $1200 + any additional you paid for back to you because its going to be offered to ALL people including those who didn't sign up for the GI Bill in BMT when they came in. Could be wrong though, but thats what it said.

My ONLY problem with this...what motivation do any of the good intelligent minded enlisted people have no outside of staying in for 10 years to pass it on to dependants if they choose, have to stay in? You basically just got a free 4-year degree from any major university no expense paid.

Just sayin...
Perhaps a ploy to downsize the military? This is a great deal and leaves little incentive to stay in the military. I'm one of the guys that's getting out as soon as my enlistment is up and this new MGIB is icing on the cake.

I would love to get my $1200 + $600 back but I won't cry over it seeing as how this is such a great deal.

I think McCain had it right with his version of the MGIB (the longer you stay in the more benefits you get) but like I said in a similar thread, it's hard to turn this down. VERY hard.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

That is some good news
Old 07-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Launching!

if i didnt have a kid on the way i would get out go to school and hit up ots uppon graduation/ maybe. oh well it can wait and be put towards a masters or a second degree.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:39 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
Perhaps a ploy to downsize the military? This is a great deal and leaves little incentive to stay in the military. I'm one of the guys that's getting out as soon as my enlistment is up and this new MGIB is icing on the cake.

I would love to get my $1200 + $600 back but I won't cry over it seeing as how this is such a great deal.

I think McCain had it right with his version of the MGIB (the longer you stay in the more benefits you get) but like I said in a similar thread, it's hard to turn this down. VERY hard.
The estimation showed a 16% drop in retension rate but likely 16% enlistment increase so we'll see how it goes but its a well deserved bill.

Thank you Sen. Jim Webb
Old 07-01-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wannabess00
The estimation showed a 16% drop in retension rate but likely 16% enlistment increase so we'll see how it goes but its a well deserved bill.

Thank you Sen. Jim Webb
I did read that part, but we have to consider something: this MGIB on steroids is going to affect long term retention in a big way. I suspect that most of the new 16% replacements will be the one term only crowd (like myself, but I'm doing 6).

I'm wondering how this will affect the NCO corps? All branches of the military need strong E-4/6s.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:44 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

to my knowledge one termers equal a large percentage of enlistments already. I believe its as high as 75%
Old 07-02-2008, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

Icing on the cake for me too, 10 months 18 days left.

So if you seperate before August 1 2009, do you still get you $1,200 back?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

For those that are interested. Attached is an EXCEL file that lists the most expensive public schools by state. Since the new Bill is capped at the most expensive public school....this may be of benefit to those looking to attend a private school.

http://www.gibill2008.org/Assets/Cha..._Breakdown.xls

Here is the link to the IAVA website where the spreadsheet was sourced from:

http://www.gibill2008.org/index.html

Some very good info there, too.

R/

Frat
Old 07-05-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

The official phamplet as taken from the VA website:

http://www.gibill.va.gov/S22/S22%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

R/

Frat
Old 07-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Teching In

I like it! I was one of the "you get nothing" crowd! Could not even pay the $1200 to buy in. This is very good.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe some enlisted will get out, get a degree, and then rejoin as commissioned officers. Bet that wasnt considered.

I highly doubt this new GI bill is going to affect retention at all. Too many members dont use the bill as it already existed anyway.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by brad8266
Maybe some enlisted will get out, get a degree, and then rejoin as commissioned officers. Bet that wasnt considered.

I highly doubt this new GI bill is going to affect retention at all. Too many members dont use the bill as it already existed anyway.
I agree. This is a great deal. If someone chooses to leave the military and take advantage of this...more power to them.

R/

Frat
Old 07-11-2008, 07:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It has its ups and downs both ways depending where you are attending college

Quick Reply: New GI Bill....