Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voolant CAI- Is it worth it to go FTRA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voolant CAI- Is it worth it to go FTRA?

I have had my Voolant CAI for probably 6 years now. For those unfamiliar, it is like a K&N style CAI, no lid, just the filter straight through to the MAF pretty much. I put this on as my first mod. I didn't realize these cars were designed to pull air from the underneath back then.

I still have my stock air box lying around. I have been contemplating swapping the Voolant for a lid style intake, possibly the Fast Toys Ram Air with 85mm lid. But then I would need to get an 85mm MAF to along with it.

Wondering if anyone knows/thinks this will produce more airflow, resulting in more power output. I think I am leaving horsepower somewhere in my set-up.

However, this would be around $500-$600 for everything I would need. Before I do something stupid, I would like to know opinions regarding the performance differences between a lid style intake and my Voolant CAI.

Also, with the larger MAF, I would need to retune, correct?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

No one has anything on this?
Old 06-27-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

please do not invest in a new MAF, the stock one is fine. i can't remember, does the fast toys ram air kit seal the area between the radiator and the intake tract? the old freebie mod like this cause HIGH intake temps at idle due to radiator heat being pulled into the intake tract.

leave your stock maf, you got one hell of an intake 92/92 combo... tony mamo is the shiznit. uh... what is your duty cycle on those 60# injectors? and how much power are you currently making?
Old 06-27-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Duty cycle was around the 50% mark, maybe slightly lower. Last dyno pull put down around 415 or so in horribly hot and humid conditions. I think it was over 100* with 40% humidity, so I assume it's higher than it pulled, but not sure. Not too worried about dyno numbers.

I know my stock MAF is good, but in order to use the larger lid (85mm) I think I would need to go to a 85mm MAF, but again, not sure. That was one of my questions I had with the FTRA. Just trying to get as much air into my engine as possible.

Mainly interested in whether or not the lid style intake, or fast toys ram air with the lid, would out perform my current CAI set-up. I'm sure it will, but not sure if it will be enough to justify swapping.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the 85mm lid and 85mm maf gave me 10rwhp with a tune on my cam only setup...gotta get a tune...the FTRA is worth another 10rwhp if not more...so i would say you are leaving 15-20rwhp on the table...

Let put it this way this is the best setup for our cars due to taking advantage off the ram air effect...

I had my intake blocked off for a run at the track still with the 85mm maf and lid on but breathing from the front stock slit and saw 25rwhp less...now my intake is about 2.5times the size of a ftra but it really works...

here is the link for you if you are interested...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/924996-my-ram-air-vs-stock-setup-how-much-hp-dif-track-results-tom.html

Definitely recommend getting a 85mm truck/zo6 maf on ebay for about $35 then just need the 5-3 pin connector from pace performance for $20...

plus you can aways sell your volant too...
Old 06-30-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

^^^I saw this thread before. I like what you did with your set-up.

So, my voolant is def holding me back then? Just trying to figure out if it is worth the investment to re-do my intake set-up.

Also, I was looking at my old stock intake. For some reason, the clips won't lock down. Don't know why. Maybe from sitting for 6 years...