Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting parts at home... possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painting parts at home... possible?

Professional painters have rooms kept at certain temps and block off other places so dirt doesn't get into the paint and what not, if I were to try and paint a spoiler and hood (maybe a few other parts), would I need to do this? What all would be necessary to keep costs and PITA level low?

And if it's a large number of $, how much would it run me at a shop?

(Sorry, I know you guys get a lot of paint questions)
Old 06-28-2008, 04:11 AM
11 Second Club

clean up your garage and wet the floor down and your good to go. I paint a few cars a month this way. As far as supplies go to your local paint supply shop, they can get you everything you need, just let them know you want to keep cost down.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can't do it in the garage, my stepdad turned it into his own little "clubhouse" so I'd need to do it in a spare bedroom.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:57 AM
11 Second Club

Unless you have a door that seals really well going into the rest of the house and a door that goes from the bedroom to the outside I wouldn't recommend it. Your whole house will reek of fumes, you could just do it outside if you have to. Just build/buy some work stands or something to hang things from and you should be ok, especially for smaller parts.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

So pretty much a quick makeshift shed would be fine?

What about temperature? Does it need to be constant?
Old 06-29-2008, 01:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Unless its windy you dont even need a shed.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

But I wouldn't want birds to **** on my fresh paint (they always seem to bulls eye my car) or any leaves (or tree debree) to hit it.

Anyway, it wouldn't effect the quality just leaving it out in the open? Sorry I keep asking the same question, just skeptical.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you paint them at home, make sure you buy a mask (for organic and inorganic fumes) from the local DIY store.

Personnally I'd get them painted at a shop. It may not be as expensive as you think. Talk to a local painter.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my brother does mobile auto body. he paints outside underneath a canopy. dust and bugs do get in the paint sometimes, but it comes out when you do a wetsand and polish.

just start out small i guess. get a few fenders from the junkyard to hone your skills.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

I paint at home, but it's in my shop out back. I wouldn't paint in the garage (though some guys do). Too many fumes that would waft in to the house.

I bought a roll of 3M overspray plastic ($30 for a 150 yard x 5 yard roll) and built a 8x10x7 "booth" from PVC tubing (the plastic seals the booth). I paint in the booth so I don't get overspray on my tools and junk.

I do use a fresh air respirator system with a full hood (gets air from outside my shop) and have a fan blowing in to the booth / filters for exiting the booth, to keep the booth cloudiness down.

I still get some junk in the paint, but as mentioned, it comes out in the cut and buff.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much would paint typically run me? (A small amount, enough for a few body pieces and a clear coat)
Old 06-30-2008, 08:24 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Your paint costs is going to depend on the color and what type paint you use. Try to get a base coat clearcoat paint system, the good thing about that is the base dries quickly so if you get dirt or a bug you can get it out before you clearcoat it. If something gets in the clear after it dries you can sand the imperfections out and buff it. If you go with the less expensive base/clear system a quart of clear is around $30, the paint will range from $20-75 per quart depending on the color.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

wanna save money??
buy a few feet or rolled up clear plastic. (comes folded and looks like a huge tarp.) its very lightweight and easy to work with. Staple it to the ceilling to cover your walls (blocking off your entrance and such) and cut a hole so youo can have an exhaust fan blowing OUT the extra dust and crap...and as already said, wet your floor pretty good. this keeps the dust from flying up from the floor.
Needless to say beforehand clean your garage to the best your ability...overspray tends to find a way to get all over EVERYTHING!
hope this helps
Old 07-01-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've painted in my home garage for years without a problem. Just make sure you cover everything up. If you have open rafters make sure you put plastic on the ceiling. Bugs will die during the clear coat application and drop down on your finished produce.

RGJ
Old 07-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by OneQuickCoupe
I've painted in my home garage for years without a problem. Just make sure you cover everything up. If you have open rafters make sure you put plastic on the ceiling. Bugs will die during the clear coat application and drop down on your finished produce.

RGJ
Those are called kamikaze pilots. Always seem to have one no matter how clean the shop is. I paint in a $90k booth at work, and do some small jobs at home (mostly bumpers), and they come out about as clean as they do at work. Make sure you blow the shop out real good, have a few exhaust fans set up to blow air/fumes out(with a filter over them) and some filters for clean air to come in. Plastic tarp over everything, wet the floor real good, and tape around any doors that lead into the house so the fumes dont go inside. Make sure you blow all the dust off of yourself also. Dont walk around any more than you have to so you dont stir up any debris

Quick Reply: Painting parts at home... possible?