Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Got a couple chips in my windshield. Is it fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Got a couple chips in my windshield. Is it fixable?

I have a couple of small chips in my windshield. Normally I wouldn't even care, but they are a centemeter apart, and have formed a very small crack connecting them. I have seen small cracks later turning into large cracks spanning the entire windshield and I certainly don't want that to happen.

Anyone know if this is fixable as is? If so how much am I looking at to fix it? Worst case scenario, if I need to replace the front windshield, anyone know how much they cost on average (I am sure its a lot).

Perhaps I could post up pics of it for anyone who needs more detail. Any info would be helpfull.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well living in FL I couldn't help you out on cost insurance covers them here. But if the crack is going between to small chips then it MIGHT not spread. Call around to a couple local glass guys to get estimates.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if they were just chips, i believe there are shops out there than can put a clear resin in the chips to repair it. not sure if they can do anything about cracks though. i'd call around to some local glass shops
Old 06-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like 68Goatboy said, just call around shops to see what they say. Most can do it cheaply, and most insurance companies do cover small chips in the windshield so you may want to call your insurance and ask.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm. I will check out some local shops then. Thanks for the advise. I just figured they weren't fixable.