Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

My car keeps eating wheel studs!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My car keeps eating wheel studs!

As the thread title says - I keep breaking wheel studs. I was hoping to see if anyone had any ideas about why it's happening.

I have O.E. Concepts Chrome ZR-1's (17x11 in the rear) with Nitto 555R's on them. The wheels came with wheel studs.

Anyway, I had trouble with this the first time that I went to the track with my new setup. I got some wheel hop my first run and my drivers side rear wheel broke all 5 studs and came off. It wasn't too pretty, but it could've been a lot worse.

So I figured "Ok, no more screwing around. I'm getting ARP studs." I took the wheels off and saw that the OE Concepts studs on the rear passenger side were bent to hell. It's a wonder they didn't break too.

I got them all out and put in the ARP studs. I figured I was set now, and I wouldn't have to worry about wheel studs again.

I went to the track a little over a month ago, and had wheel hop a couple of times (on 2 or 3 out of 12 passes), but the ARP studs held up.

So I was PISSED to come out to my car this week to see that one of the ARP studs in the rear had broken! I go WOT sometimes, but I don't punish the car on the street, and I can't think of when it broke (it was in the last couple days).

All the studs that broke were pretty much chopped in half where the wheel meets the stud. What gives? Can the wheels be causing this? I know wheel hop is devastating to the studs but this last one didn't even break while it was wheel hopping!
Old 06-29-2008, 02:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

obviously the wheel hop is not helping. I think you're over tightening. Are you using a torque wrench? Recheck after few miles of driving?
Old 06-29-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are the wheels "hubcentric"? If not, I'd consider a set of centering rings.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1king000
obviously the wheel hop is not helping. I think you're over tightening. Are you using a torque wrench? Recheck after few miles of driving?
Yeah, I'm using a torque wrench. Factory spec 100 ft/lbs. After a couple days I rechecked them, and they were still good. I definitely thought that was the problem at first, too.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Are the wheels "hubcentric"? If not, I'd consider a set of centering rings.

Hmmm...I can't remember if they are or not. I'll have to take them off and look. I want to say that there isn't a ring in there.

How do I figure out what size I need?
Old 06-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how tight are you torquing the wheels studs too? I broke a wheel stud becuz I torqued it too tight.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SlayerMaro
Hmmm...I can't remember if they are or not. I'll have to take them off and look. I want to say that there isn't a ring in there.

How do I figure out what size I need?
Take a really CLOSE look and see if there's a visible gap between the centerbore of the wheel and the OD of the "hub" of the rearaxle. If there is, you probably could use a centering ring.

The trick is getting the correct one, as you probably realize. It's easy to measure the OD of the axle, but it makes life a lot easier to measure the centerbore of the rim if you have a "telescoping gauge", or "snap gauge" as some people call them. (Or, if you know the manufacturer of the wheel, you could contact them)

With respect to the ring you need, the "ID" of the ring is the OD of the axle. I know that the F-Bods did have a brake change in '97, and I don't know if that changed the rear axle. However, my '96 Z-28 has a rear hub diameter of 2.75", so in that case, a ring for my car would have an ID of 2.75" (70 mm). The OD of the ring would then be the same as the centerbore of the wheel that was being installed.

Without a hubcentric wheel, or a centering ring on a wheel that isn't, the studs are taking 100% of any loads that the wheel/tire generate. When you get into wheel hop, those loads can be extreme.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:04 PM
11 Second Club

^^ Thank you! That's very helpful info.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Yeah or like what leadfoot said...or it could be the battery.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

This may sound stupid, but it's things like this that can cause it too.

Are you torquing them in the air or letting it down on the ground before you torque the lug nuts down? Letting it down before they are 100% tight causes stress on the studs.

Also you don't have spacers right? Spacers cause added stress as well. Other than that, make sure your lug nuts are the same thread pattern as the studs, everything is torqued down correctly (not overtightened).
Old 07-01-2008, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

You said, I torque them to factory specs=100 ft lbs. If you are running stock studs, which are 12mm, they torque to 70-80 ft lbs max. Wheel torque has everything to do with the stud size and nothing to do with wheels or nuts. Think of it just like you do a rod bolt, overtightening causes bolt stretch, which weakens the stud.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jjordan
You said, I torque them to factory specs=100 ft lbs. If you are running stock studs, which are 12mm, they torque to 70-80 ft lbs max. Wheel torque has everything to do with the stud size and nothing to do with wheels or nuts. Think of it just like you do a rod bolt, overtightening causes bolt stretch, which weakens the stud.

That's funny, the owner's manual says 100 ft./lbs..................
Old 07-02-2008, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

According to their website, ARP only recommends 86 ft lbs for their 12mm studs (when the threads are properly coated), ya think GM makes better studs than ARP?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Factory GM specs are 100 ft-lbs.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1 Owners manual for stock is 100 ft-lbs.