Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SDCE w/ Stock Damper Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default SDCE w/ Stock Damper Question

I have the stock damper with sdce set up.....(I know I should just get a ati damper but don't have the money now)...

I used red locktight on the 3 bolts that hold the pulley to the hub and it works fine for a few hours......have not even built boost.......after a few hours the supercharger crank pulley gets a slight wobble....

then I retightened the 3 bolts and the wobble goes away for a short time

I am going to pull hub/pulley off and make sure the 3 bolts are all in contact with the stock balancer...but I was thinking of tightening the 3 bolts down and putting a few welds to hold the pulley to the hub

any other ideas
Old 06-29-2008, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AFASTYZFR1
I have the stock damper with sdce set up.....(I know I should just get a ati damper but don't have the money now)...

I used red locktight on the 3 bolts that hold the pulley to the hub and it works fine for a few hours......have not even built boost.......after a few hours the supercharger crank pulley gets a slight wobble....

then I retightened the 3 bolts and the wobble goes away for a short time

I am going to pull hub/pulley off and make sure the 3 bolts are all in contact with the stock balancer...but I was thinking of tightening the 3 bolts down and putting a few welds to hold the pulley to the hub

any other ideas
It sounds like the pulley is not seated or the bolts are backing out due to a imbalance or offsett. If theres room, try putting a nylock on the backside to hold it on.

Im not too fond of this SDCE setup, drilling a balancer like such is not the proper way of doing so.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

Good idea......I'll look into it

I will post up pics when I get it off later today
Old 06-29-2008, 11:42 AM
kp
8 Second Club

The SDCE pulley I had for the stock balancer didnt have any bolts or need any drilling. It was similar to the procharger 6 rib pulley with pins. I ran mine for a couple years with the stock balancer and never had an issue, not sure if they changed something and made it different.

Either way before something gets damaged I would call SDCE.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only come accross 1 setup as such, and it had 3 x 3/8s bolts about 2in long that threaded into the balancer. It was a pulley that was the same dia as the balancer but it offset the ATI bracket another .150.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:29 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I remember they changed the crank pulley to a 2 piece design that could either be used with a stock or ATI damper. I have never seen one though. The SDCE crank pulley I have for the stock damper looks just like a regular procharger LS crank pulley except its 7.25 diameter and is 8 rib. The one on the car now is just like the procharger 8 rib and bolts to an ATI damper.

I'm curious to see some pics of it since I never have seen the 'new' crank pulley that can be used with either balancer..
Old 06-29-2008, 03:39 PM
10 Second Club

I will post up pics tonight....working on it now......I called sdce last week and was told to remove pulley and make sure the 3 bolts were hitting the balancer at the same time...I will check it....but don't think thats the problem

Do you still have the one piece sdce crank pulley that you might be willing to sell?
Old 06-29-2008, 04:45 PM
10 Second Club

Working on cleaning the parts up......I powder coated them and am going to re-do it after I figure this out.........
Pic of hat:

But I believe the red locktight was not where the threads engage......

Also, can someone tell me when you install the pulley....the 3 screws hit the damper.....but which way do you want to turn it before you tighten crank bolt

Will post pic of pulley, but it is just like the one that bolts to superdamper.......you just drill out the holes needed in pulley
Old 06-29-2008, 05:22 PM
10 Second Club

found procharger instructions and you are supposed to rotoate it counter clockwise before you tighten crank bolt and mine was clockwise.....I am just going to install it correctly and hopefully it doesn't wobble and if not I am going to weld it
Old 06-29-2008, 05:55 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by AFASTYZFR1
I will post up pics tonight....working on it now......I called sdce last week and was told to remove pulley and make sure the 3 bolts were hitting the balancer at the same time...I will check it....but don't think thats the problem

Do you still have the one piece sdce crank pulley that you might be willing to sell?
I'll sell it, I have no use for it but I'm sure what you have will work. I used a grade 8 stud/nut washer on mine though and not the longer crank bolt they gave with it, it was too long and bottomed out. Torqued it to 150 ft lbs and it never came loose. Its pretty weird the three bolts would be coming loose, I would definitely loctite them and make sure they are counterclockwise against the damper. I assume you have the stock damper pinned to the crank and thats not spinning and making everything else come loose.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:01 PM
10 Second Club

Yea crank is pinned......arp crank bolt

I am going to red locktite the bolts and make sure it is rotated counterclockwise this time and see what happens
Old 06-30-2008, 10:05 AM
10 Second Club

Well installed it correctly and it still has a slight wobble...but don't think it would ever throw belt......any suggestions?
Old 06-30-2008, 11:19 AM
10 Second Club

better video

Originally Posted by kp
You are going to get some runout with the stock damper, mine wobbled a little but never threw a belt. As long as bolts arent falling out or loosening up and its not really bad give it a try. Just be careful because a pulley coming off the front at higher rpm can do some damage under the hood.
Look alright?

Last edited by AFASTYZFR1; 07-01-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

I am just going to drive it around town, make sure bolts are still tight and not trying to back out and then getting it tuned this weekend if everything checks out......Will prably start looking for a super damper though
Old 07-13-2008, 09:04 AM
10 Second Club

pulley has seen 14psi and nothing has come loose, and the belt hasn't jumped........so i guess its fine
Old 02-13-2013, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

i know this is old , but i bought an sdce kit to use with the stock balancer and sent sdce pics and waiting on what else i need for tools , but this is whats throwing me off from your pm you sent me , no hole in the billet metal piece .

Quick Reply: SDCE w/ Stock Damper Question